Revised Car Performance v1.0 (.CTF Files)

As I posted in Roberto Costa's F1 2012 Total Overhaul thread, I have been working toward adjusting car performance — most notably top speeds as a result of the game's too-powerful DRS effect — to levels actually seen at the circuits this past season. Using the official Formula 1 website's results section and the McLaren team's website, I have arranged the document below which illustrates the top speed reached through the speed trap during free practice, for positions P1 and P10 (P24 was typically too slow to compile a reasonable average). This, along with the McLaren team's data on straightaway length and full-throttle duration, aided me in finding that just three "baseline" setups are needed to suit all 20 circuits on the calendar.

1. Extreme low downforce, low drag. Monza only.
2. Extreme high downforce, high drag. Monaco and Singapore*.
3. Medium downforce and drag. Applies everywhere else.

* Singpore is not merely a simple "copy-paste" of the Monaco data, as Monaco has very specific car data for steering lock, suspension durability, brake pressure, transmission shift times, and more. Singapore uses the majority of the data from the "medium" setup above, with aero data from Monaco.

I am open to feedback, but please understand I am not looking to regress back to single-circuit setups. I am content with being "in the ballpark" here. My priorities were (1) reduce the overpowered DRS and (2) adjust the clearly-wrong default setups at locations like Silverstone (which, for example, uses the same low-drag configuration as Monza).

Final drive ratios have been adjusted to top out at the end of the longest straight, using DRS as early as is prudent, using 50% KERS capacity, on low fuel. This leaves enough slack to give the AI as much of the full rev range as I can with a single setup.

Front grip has been increased to give a more balanced feel when using the default suspension values. This was done not to improve handling, but to give as much adjustability one way (i.e. towards understeer) as the other (oversteer). I found many of my setups before adjusting front grip saw something like 2F-9R suspension values just to get a balanced feel, leaving very little "wiggle room" if I needed to further dial things in. Difficult to explain.

Baby's put down for the night, and I work early tomorrow. So without further adieu…

My spreadsheet and resultant graph of top speeds:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/amk0ap1gph3vflf/Speed_Trap.pdf

The download (I recommend you use a mod manager such as JSGME):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hzkij6u4n1kfqr/Revised_Performance_v1.1.zip

Experimental version 1.2 (reduces grip by 5-10%, but introduces balance issues, work in progress):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0sb1q704dovlf6/Revised_Performance_v1.2.zip

Please provide your feedback!

EDIT: v1.1 uploaded, including "balanced" folders for each car for use against AI or online.
EDIT: v1.2 uploaded, reduces overall grip by 5-10% to more closely match actual 2012 lap times.
EDIT: v1.1 linked again, still offering v1.2 as experimental version and work-in-progress.

Wow! Impressive work! I'll give it a test and get back to you.

It's people like you that make this easily the best online racing community.

Cheers!

EDIT:
Okay so my initial impressions;
I did TT mode in a Mclaren @ Spa, for about 15 laps.

The gear ratios are much better, however the first 4 gears are a bit too short, I was able to use 3rd gear around Rivage (typically a 2nd gear corner). The 5th gear is perfect. While the 6th and 7th gear seem a little too long. I tried putting 7th all the way left, because this game seems to have terrible acceleration in 7th. Granted, IRL 7th gear should be the hardest to accelerate due to drag, but in game it's just a bit much.

I like that you closed the gap between DRS and non-DRS, however again, the acceleration in 7th gear without DRS almost forces you to run the rear wing at "1", otherwise you can't get upto any respectable speed. And even then, I wasn't able to get upto 300kph along the kemmel straight or the Blanchimont section.
I don't think this is something to do with the gearing, but more the drag that CM have given the cars.

So just to give you a tip, I think that the drag with DRS active should be slightly more (not too much), and the drag without DRS should be decreased quite a bit.

Again, that was just an initial run really, haven't tried any other car on any other track.

Just tried it, its great! the handling feels much better! but the AI is really faster than me in the straights in suzuka, maybe you can do something about that? but thank you very much man game is more enjoyable now with this!

The gear ratios are much better, however the first 4 gears are a bit too short, I was able to use 3rd gear around Rivage (typically a 2nd gear corner). The 5th gear is perfect. While the 6th and 7th gear seem a little too long.
First, thank you for responding!

I haven't made (and won't be making) adjustments to individual gears. I've simply adjusted the final drive ratio to suit the new aero/drag. But just as a tip, I've had similar complaints on the gearing as you and I usually end up with my gearbox settings looking like this at each circuit:

1st: - - - - - - - - - - - - | -
2nd: - - - - - - - - - - - | - -
3rd: - - - - - - - - - - | - - -
4th: - - - - - - - - - | - - - -
5th: - - - - - - - - | - - - - -
6th: - - - - - - - | - - - - - -
7th: - - - - - - | - - - - - - -

I like that you closed the gap between DRS and non-DRS … I think that the drag with DRS active should be slightly more (not too much), and the drag without DRS should be decreased quite a bit.
I will look into this at the faster circuits (I had initially tested at the longest straights, like Shanghai and India). However, various onboard footage of 2012 races showed that, without DRS, the cars didn't have much acceleration after shifting into 7th.

…the AI is really faster than me in the straights in suzuka, maybe you can do something about that?
Thanks! Can't think of a reason why, as the AI should use these files as well, but I will look into this.

Question to the room: (1) does anyone know how to mod KERS power without also unintentionally affecting capacity, and (2) does anyone know what the "balanced" folder of identical *.CTF files is for?

the balanced folder is used by AI cars and online when using "equal cars"-option
Ah! I will copy the same files into the “balanced” folder then, and upload v1.1 later today.

Johnny Dangerously do you want to have less power but having the same 400KJ for KERS??
Yes. Whenever I adjust the KERS power, it seems to draw less power from the same capacity (letting KERS power last longer). The capacity needs to be proportionally lower along with the power, but I haven’t had success when trying to adjust both (I end up with something like 15 seconds of KERS).

Yes. Whenever I adjust the KERS power, it seems to draw less power from the same capacity (letting KERS power last longer). The capacity needs to be proportionally lower along with the power, but I haven’t had success when trying to adjust both (I end up with something like 15 seconds of KERS).
Actually it works. when you decrease power and keep same capacity then you will end up being for short time and if you increase the Power with same capacity it end up being for Long time.

This is a must have mod, It makes the handling much more realistic imo. After watching Vettel poles of this year I could'nt really attack the corners like he did in the game, but after this mod i can! Thank you very much for this mod!

Hi Johnny,

Been testing your mod 'round Valencia and I must say I love it! At last I could make a setup to go through slow corners in 2nd gear, turn 14 in 3rd, as in hotlap videos! Well except turn 10 tat I have to take in 1st still, but it's much better anyway.

Incidentally, I'm wondering whether your front/rear rebalancing had a positive impact on race incidents... Meaning, I've found that it doesn't take the slightest nudge to an AI car to make it spin and thus helps avoid yet another pen. Maybe it's just me, but AI cars look a little more stable!

Thanks for your hard work, definitely a keeper! :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 296 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing