RDRC S5 Round 7 - Coffs Harbour Rally (3rd - 6th August 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon: my condolonces.

Magnar: I had two of those 'weird' crashes on Prospect 2. Right near the end the car hit a small bump and completely stopped like it hit a tree, and then on the 'cattle grid' going through the gate, same thing, like I hit a tree or rock. Never ever had this before. was just luck I made it to the end. Very very strange. My car was not particularily low either..

Most of the rest: Dam shame for all the retirements... terrible, I hope no-one else retires... ( :whistling:)

Didn´t Think I would make it, but after a hurry I logged into the session with 2 minutes margin.
SS1: Havent been in the car since round 6. A shakedown stage would have been useful. Felt really rusty and got no confidence. Codriver obviously also rusty. He warned to late for the first junction and I overshoot it into the forest. Think I smashed sideways into a tree, but could continue.
SS2: Cant get the feeling. One spin, and slow.
SS3: Came close to a spectator. Thought I avoided him, but the windshield was coloured red, so I guess it was fatal. A few hundred meters later I crashed into a tree and broke the radiator. The engine overheated, but I could reach the finish.
SS4: Filled up with water before the stage but codriver warned for overheating just after 15 sec. I tried to run at high gears and low revs but the car lost more and more power and 800 meters before the finish line the engine gave up. DNF.
SS5: New engine. And suddenly I got to know the car again. Just felt the confidence and started to push. Of course I was to ambitious. I touched the bank with a fraction and the car flipped over. I could continue but then the car oversteered into a tree. Engine number two dead. DNF.
SS6: Engine no 3 installed. Good stage. I got the rhytm.
SS7: Good
SS8: Good
SS9: Small mistake sent me out in the trees. engine dead. DNF.
SS10: Engine no 4 installed. Good driving
SS11: Good
SS12: After a frustrating a rally I wanted to score some points at this last stage. Loaded to much and was twice into the armco. Damaged radiator and lost power towards the end. Not enough to score points Im afraid.
All in all an expensive rally for the team. I guess all the spare engines are gone. But as I showed some speed at second half of the rally I hope to keep my seat also in the next rally.
Thanks organisers!

Last edited:
:geek:
Yes! My goal was to finish every stage cleanly and I almost did it. No cfh or dnf.
SS1-2 I took very carefully in the dark and it went pretty well.
SS3-4 I started to feel more and more confident with my little citroen and started to push a little bit. Until SS 5 I had very scary moment going full throttle, sideways and I saw trees coming closer and closer:O_o: But luckily was able to slow down just enough. I broke something from the rear but could finish and service was ahead so not a big problem.
SS6-8 My heart was still trying to make it's way through my chest.
SS9 Went wide in one intersection, nothing else to report.
SS10-11 Ok
SS12- Power stage. I tried to calm myself before this not to go too fast cause I knew it would only cost time. It went quite well even though I lost about 2 seconds to my practise time.

Thanks to the organizers once again, and good luck to everyone still to drive :) :thumbsup:

On SS5 i had a strange accident, i hit something in the middle of the road and the car rolled and landed on the roof, i don't know what happen there.
Here is a video of this:
That looks straingely familiar to me.

I had trouble at Prospect Ridge II where there is a dip between two hills and bad road where, for the first time even when I slowed down, my car flipped over when hitting the damaged road there.

That crash though looks like some sort of bug, either with the VW or the stage itself :unsure:[/quote]

Going to attempt this rally soon... depending how the first few stages turn out I might bail out and go to the football!

Edit: I'm cursed! Fired up SS1 and my pedals wouldn't work... USB cable wasn't plugged in properly!

Last edited:
Started like never, ended like always;)

SS1-SS3- Went nice, I made few mistakes but finished with a nice time imo.

SS4-SS5- Rolled once, drove into a ditch, almost killed the engine. Not that bad.

SS6- I hit a small rock while going 140-150kph, lost the control, ended up on a tree. First DNF.

SS7-SS8- And now a strange thing happened, I repaired my car after the ss6 crash so I automatically skipped ss7, but when I started ss8 I noticed that Im driving on the prospect ridge stage instead of Frazier Wells II. After the SS8, every stage I finished was marked as retired on the results table, but there was my real time showed though, not the default one.

SS9- DNF. I crashed maybe 300meters before the finish line.

SS10-SS11- Ok
SS12- DNF

Looking forward to round 8.
Thanks to organizers:)

Ah wow, incredibly pleased with that. Can't believe I got on the overall podium, and reaaaallllly close to first in class. I just realized that I'm going to be Grade 1 for next year now, so that'll be good fun.

Grats to all the other podium finishers, and everyone else who finished as well.

Cheers as always to the organizers :)

Hopefully I will be back up there with you... although I await being bumped down this event if someone is corrected to above me (it being provisional results atm)

To qualify for Grade 1 a driver must have:-

Finished in the top 5 of an RDRC event in season 4,

Ah wow, incredibly pleased with that. Can't believe I got on the overall podium, and reaaaallllly close to first in class. I just realized that I'm going to be Grade 1 for next year now, so that'll be good fun.

Grats to all the other podium finishers, and everyone else who finished as well.

Cheers as always to the organizers :)

Cheers to you Michael! Excellent drive! I wish I could say the same for my performance. I had more DNF's this rally than I had all season. I need to find some time to practice and hope to have a better showing next time out.

Now that is a nice result i have to say, even though i was kind of lucky to get it.

My first paragraphc I could copy from Magnus pretty much, didn´t touch RBR since the last round, then wanted to have the last 45min before the session to practice, but i noticed I forgot to change my pedal assignments, then noticed i have a deadzone problem (used my old G25 pedals for the other rounds, now back to my CSP ones since i have my simrig built back up) so afterall like 10min before the session started i was busy setting everything up, so just did the final stage once to have a chance for the 3 extra points.

SS1 - just like Magnus it took 2 corners until i lost orientation and went off, lost some seconds. Then flipped the car later, luckely no DNF
SS2 - worked ok, slowly got back into the grove, just some scary moments that cost time, no major damage
SS3 - SS6 I can´t say how much I dislike these Australia stages, who builds roads with little walls left and right? so I just tried to cruise through without messing up. Had a couple spins, some close calls but no major damage luckely.
SS7 - a stage I actually did quite often in normal RBR so was trying to push a bit, spun close to the end, not what i had hoped for.
SS8 - another stage I knew from old RBR, but I had short gears on all stages today so probably lost several seconds because of that.
SS9 - back to australia, but was ok as I kind of was in the right rythmn, but was very cautious overall so not very fast.
SS10 - started to think about the end of the rally, was happy not to have any DNF or CFH, which clearly was a mistake, spun around and while trying to get going I first went forwards into the wall next to the road and lost my bumper, then while going back went over the cliff, so there was my CFH. :mad:
SS11 - well since I knew the stage I decided to push, but then I completely forgot to brake at the first tight left and went straight into the parked cars, so there was the DNF. :thumbsdown:

SS12 - last hope, was pushing and I guess this lap type layout suits me, was able to push all throughout the stage and 2nd on the power stage is a good result, 27 points, 9 on Magnus so a good result. Hopefully next time with more practise again.

I just saw the results!

First I would like to congratulate to my teammate Tero on an amazing job. :thumbsup:
ICE 2 Racing for the win!:D
Love it!:)

My rally was again ruined by bad luck. Can't get a brake from it here at RDRC.
Plan was to get to the finish and start going faster as I get comfortable with the car.
It was all good until SS9 Mineshaft II where I ended up with a damaged gearbox, just as I thought I was OK, because I didn't hit the car, just touched the tree.:mad:

After that I drove SS10 and 11 with that damage which was very difficult to do.
There was nothing left but to attack the power stage. I could have done it better but one point will do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 318 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 218 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years