RBR Driving Tips

Hey there guys!

Just thought about having a thread to post our RBR Driving tips, techniques,etc; and even to ask others about specific techniques and tips.
This would improve our Rally Clubs and Championships experience as they would be more competitive. It would also help many "RBR starters".
It would be a kind of RD Rally School :p

What do you think about it ??

So, I'll start:
-Look to the corner apex when turning;
-Concentrate and pay attention to the PACENOTES;
-DON'T floor the throttle and try to reach full speed everywhere;
-Brake early and gently.

Q:
-How do you guys when its time to change gear? I try to do it by hearing the car sound, but on some cars it is hard :S
-Enter on turns with a gear that's hitting the rev and change to a higher gear after exiting the turn or enter the corner already on the other gear?
-Slide/Drift or go smoothly?

A :
- I change gear depending on what i have to do, if there is a long straight coming, i wait until i hit the rev limit and change gear, so i get all the power out of the car, but if there is a 4th gear corner coming and i'm in 4th gear, i change to 5th early that way i go a little bit faster on the corner by being on a higher gear than supposed, this varies greatly from car to car, in S2000 and N4 cars this won't affect a lot, but on WRC cars i think it is a useful technique, turn the digidash on and change gear when you see the red light is the rule on most cars, the sound helps to know how much power you're getting, for example on some WRC cars, you start to hear the turbo really coming at 5th gear, that depends on the car and your style.

- Enter the turn 1 gear higher is what i do on most stages, except for the very tight japanese sections.

- Definitely go as smooth as possible, i've won many Rallyes by going as smooth as possible and watching the others slide into the threes, at this level, going smooth is all, smooth and quick, there are some Rallyesim aces who go drifting trough all the stage, but that is just very difficult right now, for sure it is possible on some corners, but really drifting with speed is very tricky, if you master it, then you'll fly. But my advice is be as smooth as possible, some mix between smooth and drifting won't help.

for newbies : Never look anywhere else other than the screen while driving

For what it's worth, I'll throw in a few tips based on how I drive.

1. Most importantly, I follow Manuel's main tip. I try to be as smooth as possible, surprisingly when I drive what seems to be slightly easier and controlled, I end up with a faster time than when I try to push to the limit. I suspect it has a lot to do with my next tip, wheelspin.

2. My gear choices for taking turns varies a lot, depending on the car and the surface grip. I mainly aim to get the best balance between engine torque and minimal wheelspin. If the surface is slippery (snow or wet gravel) I often use a slightly higher gear to eliminate wheelspin, especially for the higher powered cars. If I have a longer straight coming after a turn, my sole focus is on getting a smooth and early amount of power without wheelspin.
For a lower powered car eg. S2000's, I aim to keep the revs as high as possible, these cars need high revs to gain maximum power. The WRC cars can rely on their high torque at lower revs, so I aim for maximum traction on exit.

3. Entering turns, especially tight ones. I am an early braker, I'll always prefer to have the car stabilised before the turn in. Again, my primary focus is the exit more than the entry. I probably lose a bit of time this way, but one late brake can be quite disasterous in RBR. Again, gear choice depends on the car and it's torque band, but as a general rule, I try to downshift early and be in the desired gear ready for exit, especially in a lower powered S2000 type car. You have to avoid letting these S2000 cars get bogged down with low revs.

4. Drifting is a difficult one for me. For many surfaces (eg. gravel) you need a small amount of rear end slide to help get the car turned in. I'm not good at controlled sliding through turns, it needs to be precisely controlled to avoid compromising your clean exit. So, if anything, I probably under-slide, again taking the safer route. I usually give the handbrake a very small tap (if needed) just to free up the tail to get it pointed where I want to go, but then use controlled power to maintain the balance, and allow me to get back to maximum power as early as possible on the exit. I think the very fast guys can throw the car sideways into a tight turn, but I'm not good enough to do that consistently, so I aim for the safer procedure.
I also use left foot braking to control sliding turns, I'm pretty hopeless at the Scandianavian flick. :redface:

Don't know if any of this is the best method, but it is my approach. I know I'm a bit conservative but safely finishing all stages without wrecking the car works better for me.

I also recommend drivers to return to the RBR Driving School for refresher courses, the school is invaluable. :wink:

Excellent topic for a thread though Chelton, we need more driving tip / training advice for RBR. If we get lots of useful stuff posted, I might make it a sticky. :thumb:

Look past where the road disappears. this is a real life technieque and works well to make you smooth and clean in RBR, Don't think it is easy but it WULL make you faster and crash less. if you look at the apex when you turm you will also look at the tree you are about to hit.

1. Braking - I use two time braking technique. One is the basic one to slow the car before the corner. Just 10meters before entry I turn the stering wheel to make slide a bit and throtle little. Next I brake bit again and full throtle to slide throuh the corner. On the exit I'm trying to put the car in same direction as the road.
2. I'm moving steringwheel much to keep the car in proper drivingline and to stay in the corner. It is easier for me to feel the car by doing it
3. On tarmac it is something different. I brake one time - lastest as possible, sometimes brake and gaz in same time inside corner, next full throtle earliest as I could. I'm driving very wide to be faster and I, cutting everywhere where I can. I use handbrake a lot, on slow corners (not only hairpins).
4. Dont use that techniques if you want to end rally! I'm crashing because of that all time!

Excellent topic for a thread though Chelton, we need more driving tip / training advice for RBR. If we get lots of useful stuff posted, I might make it a sticky. :thumb:
Thanks! :D . Hope we get lot of tips and questions from everyone.
(Want to hear the secrets of the big alien Seb too :p)

-Guys i have a question - nerves- i always get very very nervous when about to start a Rally and that makes me do mistakes. Could you please tell me how to control that? i know it isn't very related to RBR, but i think it may be useful to have here.
I had a lot of this too, but recently I've been controlling it a bit. What I do is hear to some music and try to chill a bit 20mins before the rally, and when about to start it I say to myself: "It's nothing serious, just an online championship for fun!" (yeah, it's just to calm down, it isn't JUST to have fun :)).
This seems to work for me. Give it a shoot, it may work for you too

Manuel - finally I found somebody who hase same problem! But it isnt something good to have

This season I end rally only 2 times, which makes me relaxed, because of no pressure! I'm in table someware in the end so it is relaxing me!

Found about left foot braking. The WRC guys (Loeb, Hirvonen and Solberg) say that it makes no difference :frown: :confused:
Now I'm wondering if it doesn't make any difference here on RBR too.

*I'll try to compare my times using and without using it and let you guys know about it.
But still want to here your ideas if you have any :)

Good video. :good:
I thought the drivers were referring to high altitude not making any difference, rather than left foot braking.

As previously said, I use left foot braking quite a lot, but mainly only on gravel and snow surfaces. I try to avoid it on tarmac because it can lead to the rear end letting go (just when you don't want it to) if you are not very careful.

Manuel: I have done many 'adreneline' sports, all of which envolve 'nerves'. U just have to ignore the 'start' nerves. Put it this way, if you didnt get nerves then it wouldnt be exciting. Hopefully the second the game/sport starts all the nerves go, if not its because you are simply not concentrating enough. Embrace the nerves, it means your alive!

Haha, thanks John, i'll try to ignore them, ussually it's like you say, they're only at the start but mistakes are costly at the start, maybe it's because i'm still young, anyway thanks for the tip.

Chelton, i think the guys weren't talking about left foot braking when they said that, Hirvonen said the high altitude from the stage didn't make a difference.

About left foot braking : I always use it, before, i used just one foot, but to continue "evolving" and getting better i think left foot braking was necesary, and it does make a difference, it helps moving the weight of the car so you're not sliding around and i use it a lot to keep traction when exciting tight corners, also you're always doing something with the car, in control :cool:

Good luck Jakub

Oh, yeah!
Just watched the video again (paying more attention) and noticed that they were talking about the altitude :D. I think that it was the British accent of the presentator that made it hard to understand.
And thanks there for the warning about using it on tarmac Warren.

-Found
great video of the master (Colin McRae) showing/"teaching" some rally techniques (includes the Left Foot Braking and Scandinavian Flick). This is a most see.

Another very good video. :thumb:

I love his description of the Handbrake Turn - "takes longer to talk aboot it than to do it". :D

BTW: Thread is now stickied.

Now, all we need is some contibution from the "master" - Seb's school of driving. :wink:

Another very good video. :thumb:
BTW: Thread is now stickied.
Now, all we need is some contibution from the "master" - Seb's school of driving. :wink:
Good news :D
Yeah, for sure, we need more contribution! Including from the "master" :p

Again, the so called "master" has no secrets, his contributions won't be different to any of ours! he's my friend ;)
Yeah Manuel, you may be right. But he may have a LITTLE magical tip :p

More tips:
-Know the track (at least a bit) before running on it. Shakedowns are valuable ;). You can use Vincent Allard method. But it may be better if you go at a normal speed.

-Don't brake on the grass or your car will spin.

-Brake (not to much) then accelerate right before jumping. Don't if it is the best method but is how I've done recently and it looks like I have more control on jumps.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 483 39.0%