F1 2012 Rain (How to guide)

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
Do this for each track with the Ryder database editor (thanks Ryder!)

<dynamic_environment_settings>
<clear_state_ratio>0.4601133</clear_state_ratio>
<dry_time>900</dry_time>
<heavy_rain_state_ratio>0.04786399</heavy_rain_state_ratio> lower this value or set to '0'
<ID>13</ID>
<light_cloud_state_ratio>0.2300567</light_cloud_state_ratio>
<light_rain_state_ratio>0.03190933</light_rain_state_ratio> lower this value or set to '0'
<max_humidity>0.96</max_humidity>
<max_state_duration>60</max_state_duration>
<max_temp>31</max_temp>
<max_transition_duration>60</max_transition_duration>
<max_wind_speed>4.388889</max_wind_speed>
<min_humidity>0.46</min_humidity>
<min_state_duration>20</min_state_duration>
<min_temp>17</min_temp>
<min_transition_duration>15</min_transition_duration>
<min_wind_speed>0.3888889</min_wind_speed>
<overcast_state_ratio>0.2300567</overcast_state_ratio>
<soak_time>600</soak_time>
<track>83</track> Check under 'track' This is Monza

All red values must add up to '1'. example: 0.46 - 0.0 - 0.23 - 0.0 - 0.23 adds up to 0.92 so change clear_state_ratio to 0.54 so you'll have no rain.

If you just want less rain it is trail and error with the light and heavy rain values

Fyi guys, when modding the database its a good idea to search through the schema xml file for the game. I noticed there's descriptions for some things in there for example:

Code:
  <table name="dynamic_environment_settings">
    <field name="clear_state_ratio" description="The ratio, percentage, of a clear state." type="float" />
    <field name="dry_time" description="The time, in seconds, required to dry the track when there is no cloud at all." type="float" />
    <field name="heavy_rain_state_ratio" description="The ratio, percentage, of a heavy rain state." type="float" />
    <field name="ID" description="Automaticaly generated identifier." type="int" key="primary" />
    <field name="light_cloud_state_ratio" description="The ratio, percentage, of a light cloud state." type="float" />
    <field name="light_rain_state_ratio" description="The ratio, percentage, of a light rain state." type="float" />
    <field name="max_humidity" description="The maximum absolute humidity." type="float" />
    <field name="max_state_duration" description="The maximum time a state lasts in minutes." type="int" />
    <field name="max_temp" description="The maximum temperature in celcius." type="float" />
    <field name="max_transition_duration" description="The maximum time taken to change state in minutes." type="int" />
    <field name="max_wind_speed" description="The maximum wind speed in m/s." type="float" />
    <field name="min_humidity" description="The minumum absolute humidity." type="float" />
    <field name="min_state_duration" description="The minimum time a state lasts in minutes." type="int" />
    <field name="min_temp" description="The minimum temperature in celcius." type="float" />
    <field name="min_transition_duration" description="The minimum time taken to change state in minutes." type="int" />
    <field name="min_wind_speed" description="The minimum wind speed in m/s." type="float" />
    <field name="overcast_state_ratio" description="The ratio, percentage, of a overcast state." type="float" />
    <field name="soak_time" description="The time, in seconds, required to soak the track at full rain intensity." type="float" />
    <field name="track" description="Track ID, referenced from track table." type="int" />
  </table>

Some are useful, some are obvious/repetitive.

<dry_time>900</dry_time>
<heavy_rain_state_ratio>0.04786399</heavy_rain_state_ratio> lower this value or set to '0'
<ID>13</ID>
<light_rain_state_ratio>0.03190933</light_rain_state_ratio> lower this value or set to '0'
<max_temp>31</max_temp>
<min_temp>17</min_temp>

All red values must add up to '1'. example: 0.46 - 0.0 - 0.23 - 0.0 - 0.23 adds up to 0.92 so change clear_state_ratio to 0.54 so you'll have no rain.

If you just want less rain it is trail and error with the light and heavy rain values

koeloe could you possibly post all the values for all tracks with the settings for no rain? or put up a orignal copy of the bin file with the no rain modification for download??

<dry_time>900</dry_time>
<ID>13</ID>
<max_temp>31</max_temp>
<min_temp>17</min_temp>

Hey koeloe! Remember me? :D

Btw - Not sure if things are different in F1-2012, but in 2010, there was one set of such track parameters for career mode weather probabilities and another set when doing an individual race weekend at a track of your choice. Not sure if that is the case this time around.

Anyone have any more info on this? I'm trying to put together a realistic weather mod, but I'd like to know I'm modding the right area. I would just test it but I won't have any time to play for the next couple days.
Ryan, when I had done this in F1-2010, I made sure that the sum of all the ratio numbers equals 1. It might be that if you don't do that, you might still get rain?

The other thing...as I mentioned in my previous post...you need to search the database file for all instances of these parameters. In F1-2010, there was 2 sets of track weather ratios...one set corresponded to the weather probabilities for career mode, and the other for quickrace/race weekend or the custom championship mode. Not sure why CM chose to separate the weather profiles for all tracks between the 2 modes, but that was how it was in F1-2010.

So check if there are 2 different locations in database.bin with similar parameters for each track. Try changing them both to the same amounts and ensuring that the total of all ratios for each track equals 1 and I'm pretty sure this should work.

<dry_time>900</dry_time>
<ID>13</ID>
<max_temp>31</max_temp>
<min_temp>17</min_temp>

if anyone who knows what there doing/talking about reads this then please answer this

1 - does editing the weather section with the above code actually work (no rain)?
2 - do you or don't you have to start a new career or profile or both to make the changes work in game?
3 - could someone please clear this up once and for all!?

I've made the changes but not restarted my career or profile and on the 2nd track in career mode (Sepang) i got light rain 66% chance in practice!????

Same here, I have edited the database many different ways, thought I had cracked it, but it is still raining. New career dod not work either. If anyone can shed any light please let us know :)

Orion..I've looked through the database at anything pertaining to weather and while there is another section called weather_setting, I don't think its related to if it will actually rain or not.

I will try to change the 0's to .01 and the 1's to .96 and see if that has any effect.

And if anyone is curious..I just like the fun of racing F1 and am not interested in "realistic weather" per se...just no fun for me when racing in the rain.

So i tried editing it like suggested keeping values on a total of 1 while keeping heavy_rain and light_rain on 0.
First on a ongoing career: This gave a strange effect, it still rained at the start of the race but the track had grip as if it was not raining at all. Even though u could see the water puddles on track, i started with Option tires and had full grip.

On a new career same thing happened, still rain but i had grip on track as if it was dry weather.

First one i done for Sepang race as i was on that race in my ongoing career, 2nd one was in starting race of new career.

Taking a look inside the tracks folder of F1 2012, every folder has a file called Weather_fx. It has also values for Rainfall. Not sure if we also need to edit this file for every track to infuence the weather.

So i tried editing it like suggested keeping values on a total of 1 while keeping heavy_rain and light_rain on 0.
First on a ongoing career: This gave a strange effect, it still rained at the start of the race but the track had grip as if it was not raining at all. Even though u could see the water puddles on track, i started with Option tires and had full grip.

On a new career same thing happened, still rain but i had grip on track as if it was dry weather.

First one i done for Sepang race as i was on that race in my ongoing career, 2nd one was in starting race of new career.

Taking a look inside the tracks folder of F1 2012, every folder has a file called Weather_fx. It has also values for Rainfall. Not sure if we also need to edit this file for every track to infuence the weather.

yea i've had same effect at sepang, its raining yet i can drive at full speed on primes/options and not loose grip.

perhaps the changes make it so that even though its raining it has no effect on the circuit and you still have full grip and can still race on primes/options??

just a theory

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 285 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing