Race 07 loss of FFB

Hi folks, i'm getting desperate, and hopefully someone here can help!

Ive trawlled these forums, and the Simbin forums too, looking for the answer to a problem that is driving me mad!

Whether or not i have a fresh install of windows and fresh install of Steam/Race 07 serise, i'll go and play it for a while with perfect FFB with my G27.
After i've shut the game down, the very next time i go back in to play, all FFB effects have gone.
This is with no mods of any kind, its a perfectly virgin install of R-07.
Ive tried reinstalling the drivers for the wheel, reinstalled R-07 again, had one game with FFB, then go back to not having it the next time i play, and i just cant think for the life of me why it would be doing this.
Its full up to date with patches coming atuomaticly from Steam, all drivers on my machine are up to date, but still no FFB, and i cant find an answer anywhere.

Please, someone help me. I love the game, but without FFB, its just not the same game!

I can get it to work on every full reinstall but as soon as I power off my PC and start it up again I need to start all over again, since the FFB just breaks again. So im hoping it will work for good this time.

It is there, even if I manually edit it FFB is gone. However I just only installed Race 07 and rebooted the PC after racing and FFB is still there on boot up. So it seems it starts after one of the expansions, just figuring out which one is going to be hell.
Or with a bit of luck the solution will work.

I don't know if it is not a recurrent Race07 bug:

I already experienced this twice in a league championship race: FFB ok in practice, qualify, warmup .... on grid for the race: FFB gone for good. 30 minutes race on Pau Track, it was a miracle crossing the finish line.

Since that time, I always do that manœuvre: before going on track, go to commands settings and without changing anything open each possible setting window : Advanced, Forces .. and backwards.
It never happened anymore.
Making a change in Logitech profiler settings ( rotation degrees or forces ) while in game ... often ( if not always ) results in FFB problems if not doing the manœuvre I explained here upwards.

I didn't fix it yet no, reinstalled steam last night, will reinstall Race tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks Jean-Pierre, but it is a different problem :-(. My rev lights don't work either, already from the start of the game. Then I also know I won't have FFB.

When you reinstalled, how did you manage with the Documents\Simbin folder and files ? ...
I don't know why but I suspect it has something to do with the relation between the files in there and the new install in Steam.

When I reinstall, I always rename Documents\Simbin into ..\Simbin old .... reinstall the game creating once again a new folder in the Documents after starting the game once ... and just copy files from Userdata et what's necessary from the Simbin old to the new one to keep all my savings before reinstall.

If I were you, I'd copy first All Documents\Simbin\Race07 on another disk or USB key, I'd delete the existing one, maybe save and remove what's in your Logitech Profiler for Race07, uninstall Race07 and be sure everything's out of your register concerning Race07 and would only begin reinstall.
So everything should be new ... first try Race07 and Wheel without changing or adding anything in order to see if it works fine. And only, afterwards begin adding or replacing with your saved files ... but part by part ...with a trial after each add.
Maybe the best way to know where the problem was if there was one.

Last edited:
Replacing "install 2" folder in my docs: Copy all the folders from "install 2" but leave the files that are in the folder root (my docs\simbin\race07) like they were unless you did changes to gameinstall dir (you installed it somewhere else). Delete "install2", launch Config.exe from the gamedir, not from the Steam options. It should check that everything is ok and should use the correct "Race07" my docs folder.

Ingame FFB "hard" reset, always works: visit controller setup menu. Don't need to go any further, just visit and exit.

Ingame "soft" FFB reset: alt+f. Sometimes work, sometimes not. Never worked on my setup. But i use the ancient Momo black and i've lost FFB during session maybe twice. Couple of times had center offset wrong and couldn't reset it with the usual max left/max right steering movement..

ALWAYS use a copy of the default controller config! Even if you don't make any changes to the default files, always make sure you have it separate. The game overwrites the defaults from time to time.

Simple method: choose one of the defaults, change any button and change it back and it should prompt you that it needs to create a custom mapping. Exit game, start game, go straight to controller options, select the same config you just saved, make any change and exit/restart once again. The last part is because we have to be sure that the right controller config file is assigned to your profile. The game sometimes looses track of what file it's suppose to load and it might show you that everything is right: you got your own custom config file but after exit from the game, that config disappears and it reverts using the inbuilt default instead. It often looses FFB in that process. When it's done right, the game just starts working like it should. I've had 5 duplicate configs showing ingame and zero new configuration files were actually created.. I had to delete them all, verify cache and do the steps above to get it working.

Losing FFB on grid: connection issue. Might not be on your end, there's known bugs in the starting grid. If anyone joins at the last second, anyone on the grid might get surprising bugs (blue flag, cars spawned inside each other, connection issues etc...) It can also happen when two people join at the same time, a person joins while having connection issues himself (client goes in grid while connection stutters, server doesn't see the player, it assigns new grid positions, client connects...).. It's too bad that you can't know if you have FFB or not before the countdown starts.. Otherwise there would be time to unplug USB and replug it, my wheel at least can be refreshed like this but it then uses windows driver settings and you loose all the tweaks Race07 made. But it's better than nothing.

Always start with Race07. Never ever use expansions to start the game.. Yeah, you loose some of the nicer GUI colors but it's the only way Race works in Steam. A lot of the problems comes from starting from expansion. Also disable all Steam Community options: no overlays, no notifications, turn everything off. Race07 can handle them but the thousands of changes Steam makes, i don't trust that it works anymore (for ex, MSI afterburner crashes the game now because of Steam Overlays..).

Good luck.

Last edited:
The one who deserves your Thank you is rather ChristosGR who found the solution. ;)
He is the right man who will surely help many others with it. :thumbsup:

I just read his answer and pointed to the right place to go in order everyone may find it, that's all I did.
But :thumbsup: from you for your friendly post.

Have pleasure driving now. :cool:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 266 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 175 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 178 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 131 7.6%
  • < 5 years