Opinions on the adaptive AI

Hi
What do you reckon about the adaptive AI (the advertised "A.R.I.") in this game?

I've only completed 6/7, or so, races as I just got the game a couple of days ago. So I don't know how it's going to adapt yet, I suppose.

For the moment, for the races I complete without crashing out, I seem to win easily (and I'm not very fast). I'm guessing that it'll get harder...

What do you know about this?

I remember playing Forza a few years ago which had some kind of adaptive ai. And it was rubbish - it just made the game no challenge at all. Fortunately, you could also choose difficulty although that meant leaving the career mode (or something like that).

I haven't noticed what the AI is doing differently honestly. Forza 5 uses drivatar data to create adapative AI but its based on real players. It works pretty well I suppose.
I wasn't referring to Forza 5's Drivatar (which does indeed sound great, btw), I was referring to Forza 4 which had some kind of adaptive ai - adaptive simply to the skill level of the player; it wasn't at all like Drivatar.

I've only completed 6/7, or so, races as I just got the game a couple of days ago. So I don't know how it's going to adapt yet, I suppose.
As far as i understood it, but the AI adaptes only by driving multiple times on the same track.
For example: If you drive the first race at Hockenheim and then going to Brands Hatch, the AI is not adapting to Brands Hatch by using your perfomance in Hockenheim as a reference. Only if you drive at Hockenheim again, the AI adapts to your former driving on this track.

So going through career mode from one track to another and driving always just one race, the AI isn't able to adapt.

As far as i understood it, but the AI adaptes only by driving multiple times on the same track.
For example: If you drive the first race at Hockenheim and then going to Brands Hatch, the AI is not adapting to Brands Hatch by using your perfomance in Hockenheim as a reference. Only if you drive at Hockenheim again, the AI adapts to your former driving on this track.

So going through career mode from one track to another and driving always just one race, the AI isn't able to adapt.
Good advice!
Well , I'll stick with just three tracks for the moment and see how it goes.

Ernie, have you noticed the ai picking their game up as you've driven on the same track again?

Ernie, have you noticed the ai picking their game up as you've driven on the same track again?
I didn't noticed it by myself, because i drive almost never against AI cars, because their inconsistent driving annoys me most of the time.:confused:

Actually i'm driving leaderboard challenges with R3E just for fun, but only to bridge the gap until Multiplayer mode is ready. Can't wait to drive with/against my league mates. :cool:

All I've noticed is that they will brake check me, sometimes I will only slightly nudge them, and then about 5 laps later, I'll get revenge rammed, they seem to learn from my lines, speed and brake points

I hope they do adapt different for each track.
Just did my first Zandvoort laps and although I know the track pretty good they seemed to have 120% grip or something, soo much faster in corners

EDIT: There is not much intelligence in those cars when you have not yet spend 2 hours on every single track. First of all they just slam you out of their way braking into corners. Secondly non-calibrated AI is very weird. Norisring: Cars are over a second a lap slower. Hockenheimring, that stadium section of the non-calibrated AI is just incredibly sick fast. They do corners so quick I cant even do with all downforce options, almost like a grip cheat :p Same goes for Zandvoort.
Opinion: Do not race AI's until you have track tested everytrack for 100 laps.

Last edited:
I have small question. Can I calibrate ARI by many short races in the circuit? For example 20 races by 5 laps. I race in Hockenheimring about three times by 5 laps, and ARI is still too slow...

I really cant understand this AI (or A.R.I. if you want).
I want to start a championship but after some track test in hockenheim i've seen the AI ridicolously faster than me, and some too-fast behaviour expecially in the arena section.
Done many little races just to see if AI adapts to me.
Sunday i've made a new attempt to start a championship and found AI adapted, they ran slightly slower than me (my average is 1:34/1:35), started race but i was too easily first. Stopped the race.
Yestarday new start and they are again way too fast (1:32 agains my 1:35).
Now i give up until a serious update to AI, maybe with a slider that can set AI strenght.

The I stands for Idiot in this game I guess :p
Cars just keep on slamming by doing the most ultrabrakemoments ever. They brake so late at a point that I as a driver simply can't... Makes them idiots because they ram you out and makes them terribly faster than me :o

Public servers are known of brutal force players and i have seen enough of them and it becomes a true skill to avoid them, which has become a game of itself :D (i have also made stupid mistakes so the blame is also on me;))
But the AI is even worse. And the problem is that i'm not able to avoid them because they are very unpredictable aggressive that i prefer public MP above the current AI.

Most every DTM online race I have been in has been very clean. There are mistakes from time to time that can take you out but that happens IRL also. For the most part, I have had some of the best online racing I have ever experienced.
As for the DTM AI, it's inconsistent. At times I have some good door to door racing other times I run away. Early on I had a number of races where I wasn't able to keep up but they must have adapted but have slowed a little too much.
For those with DTM and haven't tried online, try it (not just 1 or 2 races) you may like it.

Agree with the above. I've invested a lot of time in the multiplayer alpha over the past week and my experience has been very good for the most part. Some very fast and clean racers on there. I've had some great battles even though only two or three of us have been on track. Usually there is always someone on track at about my skill level to have a good fight with, even if it's not at the front of the pack.

There are still plenty of first corner heroes and budding Maldonados, as well as those guys that seem to have no awareness of other drivers around them, but generally the standard is good.

Just need some private lobbies and pitstops and this will be one of the best online racing experiences.

AI is terrible, it's made me shelve the game hoping for an update.

I'm sure the AI is updating somewhere but it's still flawed, cars stick in a pack, jam every corner, pit manoeuvre you at every opportunity and are altogether too slow.
Impossible to get a flowing race going, very frustrating and not enjoyable.

On the plus side we will see DTM 2014, along with single player RRE, hopefully improvements made here will eventually carry across.

Still have faith SB will come good.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • < 5 years