New F1 replica wheel by Sala Motorsport

Hi guys,

Came across this new company that is making an exciting new product. It's an F1 wheel that is made with the exact same pre preg autoclave process of the actual f1 wheels. Probably the closest thing to the real thing and some how even better!

Its been posted on the leo bodnar forums but I'll share it here as well for those that are considering the ultimate f1 wheel rim. Here are the details of the wheel.

SalaMotorsport are 80% complete on the new F1 Sim steering wheel and it will be available in the new year.
This wheel is pre-preg carbon fibre construction and will use the new Leo Bodnar SLI-F1 unit and has 28 control buttons,switches and dials, all fully programmable.
Made in the exact process that the real formula one (£45,000) wheels are made and only the best materials and top quality switches from Leo Bodnar are used in its construction.
Production wheels will have Alcantara grips, leather or suede, clear extra led’s and Electrical Lifeline quick release bosses with adapters for all types of wheel base.
It will be come in its own flightcase for protection.
More updates to follow.
The Salamotorsport website will be up and running at the start of 2013.

The interesting thing is he's gonna definitely consider making other f1 replica wheels in the future.
There's currently adapters for ecci and g25/g27, but he will be making adapters for the CSR elite and also the CSW.
The lifeline quick release comes with an option of either wired 4 pin or 8 pin. The 8 pin will definitely come handy for wiring the 4 wires that connect to the extra vibration motors that come with the CSR-E rims and the CSW rims. And can be purchased pre wired from Scott by Sala Motorsport. There are no information as to when this will be launched as it is also very dependant on launch of the SLI-f1. All dimensions and details, Scott seems to be striving to get them as close as possible to the real lie counterpart. In my opinion, it looks worthy of a display piece, to be framed in a man cave!

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

He's even built his own autoclave for this
file.php

Hi Scott,

the wheel looks awsome however I do have a few questions.
will we be able to change the leather handles and get alcantara or rubber finished material?
would you be able to paint the screws in black or get black screws instead or the standal stainless steel look ones?

Scott, Mc Laren have showed a new display for 2014 season, drastically different from the ones we used to see. since Leo Bodnar has just (not quite yet) released their new SLI F1, it might take at least 2 or 3 years for them to release this new multifunction LCD display, then I believe it could be safe in investing in your wheel and enjoy it at least for another few years. Would you however share with us your plans once this wheel will be done? do you plan on making any other wheel replicas like Mercedes or Mc Laren ones or just planning on having 1 unique design?

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
The handles are all leather, when i tried Alcantara the glue made the material hard and didn't work as well as the leather. but you can cover the existing handles in any thing you want to try. The screws are stainless but i can get black ones if anyone wants them. I now have SLI's and firmware and all of the wiring diagrams i need to really get the production of the first wheels out. I don't think that the display will change for a very long time. My primary goal is to get the orders i do have out first and then when and if i get a spare second i may consider doing a different wheel. but my existing customers are my priority at the moment.

Regards
Scott Law
Sala Motorsport.
sala motorsport f1 wheel.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi,
The handles are all leather, when i tried Alcantara the glue made the material hard and didn't work as well as the leather. but you can cover the existing handles in any thing you want to try. The screws are stainless but i can get black ones if anyone wants them.
View attachment 49522

Hi Scott,
the black screws would be great as since you've nailed every tiny detail on the actual wheel brilliantly. Something kinda like this? The countersunk bolts around the "MIX" and "TRQ" should also solve your problem of sticking the circular stickers around that area.

edit: sorry I was just taking another look at your picture. It seems that you already have countersunk bolts in those areas. I assumed they weren't because the sticker doesn't seem to be sticking flat in that area. My bad.
limited-edition-2011-ferrari-f1-full-size-steering-wheel-replica-37251_1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Scott,

very very nice pic.

just a quick question though, what are the 4 holes you got next to the top push buttons? do you plan on inserting 4 color leds?

when will first batch delivered? are we talking less than a month or a little longer?

cheers!

Upvote 0
Scott sent me some WIP production images of my wheel, I thought I'd share it here. Almost completed, as requested almost every single tiny possible detail replicated from the actual wheel down to the double LED aluminium sleeve housing for the top left and right auxilary LEDs, the black screws and not included here yet is the alloy SLI enclosure with a slightly grey tinted digits lens instead of the red one. A work of art indeed.
sala f1 wheel Nick 1.JPG
sala f1 wheel Nick 2.JPG
sala f1 wheel Nick 3.JPG
sala f1 wheel Nick 4.JPG

Upvote 0
Scott sent me some WIP production images of my wheel, I thought I'd share it here. Almost completed, as requested almost every single tiny possible detail replicated from the actual wheel down to the double LED aluminium sleeve housing for the top left and right auxilary LEDs, the black screws and not included here yet is the alloy SLI enclosure with a slightly grey tinted digits lens instead of the red one. A work of art indeed.View attachment 52712 View attachment 52713 View attachment 52714 View attachment 52715
That wheel brought a tear to my eye! Such a marvel and a beauty!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back