iRacing's Upcoming Releases

Yoeri Gijsen

Premium
Let's keep a little thread going about what iRacing has in store for us in the (near) future. Some things have been announced, some targets have been rumoured and who knows what you have picked up in the darkest recesses of the net...

Below I will put up some things I find or found. Please post any news, rumours or hints below so one of the moderators can update this thread.

Cars
  • McLaren MP4-12C GT3 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • Lotus 49 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • RUF Rt12R - October 2012
  • Honda Civic BTCC - May/July 2013
  • Honda HSV-010 - May/July 2013
  • NASCAR Sprint Cup 2013 models - TBA
Tracks
  • Auto Club Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Hongaroring - Plans
  • Kansas Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Lukas Oil Raceway - In production
  • Rockingham Speedway - October 2012
  • Interlagos - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Miller Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • New Jersey Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • Long Beach - 2013
  • Oran Park Raceway - October 2012
  • Tsukuba Circuit - In production
  • Willow Springs - Scanned but on hold
Features
  • Crew chief & spotter functionality - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Driver swaps - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • DirectX 11 and x64 support - Long term project
  • Dirt and oil build up on windscreen - Side project
  • Enhanced sounds (DirectSound > XAudio2) - Groundwork in next build; the rest later
  • Exhaust fire - Side project
  • Teams - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Time transition - Long term and after DirectX 11
Your turn!

Early impressions...I've driven every one of the road cars that got updated and I've been very pleased with the results, I would say all of them are an improvement except a few that I'm still struggling with. The RUF C Spec, the RUF AWD, and the Riley, all of them seem really tail happy. Strangely, a lot of people complained about the Riley before the update but I never had issues with the way it drove, but I'm struggling a little more with it since the update., The RUF C Spec was tough to drive before and still is. I also bought the BMW Z4 GT3 and it feels pretty good to me but doesn't feel as grippy as the AC version, but that's generally the case on all cars in iRacing vs. AC. The HPD feels the most improved to me and its quite simply a blast to drive now.

Last edited:
I only had time to try the newly bought Z4 yesterday around COTA, but today I'm continuing my tour around the comboes. I see that Star Mazda got an update for the tires, which was just about time. I guess that will boost the participation back to where it was years ago, might make it my main series to begin with. Originally I was planning for a RUF Cup full-out attendance, now I also have to check that car out though as it got changed. I simply don't like COTA, but I expected that from the very beginning. All of the turns have like 9 ideal lines and impossible steering angles, blind braking points. It's just not my style of motorsports racing. It's just too American for me, but that's a problem for me and not the developers. The track is well-done, the graphics are nice and the details look fantastic. That's a great job on both the car and the track.

The Star Mazda got a complete rebuild with updated data in addition to the tires.

It's funny you think CotA is too American, since they 'stole' a bunch of European corners :D I'm liking it, never realized just how much elevation and blind apexing it had. Going to take a lot of time to learn, but I'm looking forward to it.

COTA is really difficult until you learn the track. I learned that the hard way yesterday. I overrun the hell out of a lot of corners but the more laps I turned the better I got at it. Its like any new track, just takes time to learn. I like COTA now even though I hated it when I first tried it yesterday.

COTA is really difficult until you learn the track. I learned that the hard way yesterday. I overrun the hell out of a lot of corners but the more laps I turned the better I got at it. Its like any new track, just takes time to learn. I like COTA now even though I hated it when I first tried it yesterday.

Wise words dude. I spent 30 laps or so on it with the Z4 and I really started liking it aswell, still those creepy sweepers are not my style and most of these turns require left foot braking or you understeer to oblivion. I'd stay at "drivable" rating for this moment, chilling myself that I didn't waste $15. I will probably use it much for this season at least though.

@Bakkster, I also got to try the SM at Okayama today on a hosted session and wow. I got to say this car just became brilliant. I'm decently surprised by the fact that this car will provide epic and close racing without fearing that you lose rear end without any warnings or just being uncareful at braking points. I wouldn't be surprised if SM became a top 3 populated series from now on. Lots of people have the content for it, simply because it used to be a "feed series" into the Williams.

Early impressions...I've driven every one of the road cars that got updated and I've been very pleased with the results, I would say all of them are an improvement except a few that I'm still struggling with. The RUF C Spec, the RUF AWD, and the Riley, all of them seem really tail happy. Strangely, a lot of people complained about the Riley before the update but I never had issues with the way it drove, but I'm struggling a little more with it since the update., The RUF C Spec was tough to drive before and still is. I also bought the BMW Z4 GT3 and it feels pretty good to me but doesn't feel as grippy as the AC version, but that's generally the case on all cars in iRacing vs. AC. The HPD feels the most improved to me and its quite simply a blast to drive now.
hrm...i was about to pull the trigger on a 1-3 month subscription mostly to drive the RUF. empty box was saying its quite an easy car & after driving the porsche in the blancpain mod i really want to see what a full-on sim version is like. is there another car you'd recommend (road or GT, not one in AC preferably)?

hrm...i was about to pull the trigger on a 1-3 month subscription mostly to drive the RUF. empty box was saying its quite an easy car & after driving the porsche in the blancpain mod i really want to see what a full-on sim version is like. is there another car you'd recommend (road or GT, not one in AC preferably)?

I love the Radical and now the HPD since yesterday's update. The thing about the RUF is that its the best bargain of any of the cars because you get all 4 versions of the car for the same price, even though the AWD, RWD, and C Spec are tougher to drive, the Track version is actually much easier to drive. The Skip Barber F2000 is always fun to drive and always has a lot of competition due to its popularity.

@Bakkster, I also got to try the SM at Okayama today on a hosted session and wow. I got to say this car just became brilliant. I'm decently surprised by the fact that this car will provide epic and close racing without fearing that you lose rear end without any warnings or just being uncareful at braking points. I wouldn't be surprised if SM became a top 3 populated series from now on. Lots of people have the content for it, simply because it used to be a "feed series" into the Williams.
The SM used to be probably the biggest road series outside of the Skippy. From what I'm hearing, it's likely a transformation along the lines of the SRF after a few NTM iterations. It's a car that feels like a single seater (especially an underpowered one) should: tons of grip, past the limit is understeer or easily correctable oversteer, and you just enjoy hitting your lines and going racing.

If anything, we're getting to the point where there aren't many 'bad' cars. The only way they can all be as popular as they deserve is if people come back and/or drive more. Hearing the Riley is a joy, the Caddy is much more controllable, we have the 3 model GT3 series, the DW12 is coming, a little something for everyone.
Just in what you get free with your subscription, the SRF and Cadillac are both good cars at the D-license level. If you're willing, I suggest buying a few months, the Ruf (which has three series to race: GT3, Ruf Cup, and World Sports Car aka Grand Am), and either 2 or 5 circuits (to have more racing options per week). Especially if you get some of the newer circuits or ones in the US that AC doesn't have, you'll get plenty of variety and have an official series available almost every week.

If you buy the Ruf, Watkins Glen, and CotA you'll be able to race at least one non-Rookie series officially every week of this season except the last one. And you'll have until week 7 before you need a C-class license to race. Interlagos, Suzuka, and Bathurst each would get used 3 times, including the last week, and none are in AC. They're also recent releases and show off the state of iRacing's tracks. If you want one more option, Mosport is being raced in 5 of the series you'd be eligible for, though it is a bit older and doesn't always get great participation. One final option is the Mustang FR500S, which is a lower powered GT and also available at class D and using Mosport, Bathurst, CotA, and Watkins Glen.

Basically lots of options based on how much you want to spend, but I suggest the Ruf, CotA, and Watkins at a minimum if you're looking for GT racing. Add three other tracks, or the Mustang and 2 of the tracks I listed to get a 6-pack for about the price of a boxed game if that's what you're after as well.

thanks, ive tried the caddy a bit but man its a tough drive. maybe i should focus on wrestling w/ it bc if i can drive that halfway decent i think other cars will seem fairly easy. i am thinking about doing either a 3 or 6 pack, not sure which yet. i was even thinking about 3/3, picking up all the gt3 cars & 3 nice road tracks (i really want spa, but i also want some recent ones as you say, mostly just good gt tracks that are nice to look at). the ones offered in the starter pack are just too tiny.

racing/levelling isn't really a priority at all for me, just straight learning to drive decently & enjoying the cars & tracks.

i do wonder what you mean by i have until week 7 to need a c-class license..am i on the clock or something? ie ill be locked out races if i dont get to c-class by then? that seems pretty bogus as i really dont want to grind in a game im paying for.

thanks, ive tried the caddy a bit but man its a tough drive. maybe i should focus on wrestling w/ it bc if i can drive that halfway decent i think other cars will seem fairly easy. i am thinking about doing either a 3 or 6 pack, not sure which yet. i was even thinking about 3/3, picking up all the gt3 cars & 3 nice road tracks (i really want spa, but i also want some recent ones as you say, mostly just good gt tracks that are nice to look at). the ones offered in the starter pack are just too tiny.

racing/levelling isn't really a priority at all for me, just straight learning to drive decently & enjoying the cars & tracks.

i do wonder what you mean by i have until week 7 to need a c-class license..am i on the clock or something? ie ill be locked out races if i dont get to c-class by then? that seems pretty bogus as i really dont want to grind in a game im paying for.

No grinding in iRacing. Everything just runs on a schedule.

i was even thinking about 3/3, picking up all the gt3 cars & 3 nice road tracks (i really want spa, but i also want some recent ones as you say, mostly just good gt tracks that are nice to look at).
I would recommend against getting all three GT3s at this point, it will be more cost effective to have additional options in different series.
Nothing iRacing would prevent, only that if you buy the tracks I suggest you'll have at least one D or C class series available with the tracks you own. Week 7 Global Challenge, GTC, SRF, WSC, and Ruf Cup will be at tracks you won't own yet.

right now im looking at the 3 gt3s (will now take yr advice into consideration) & spa, mosport & bathurst. maybe swap out the mclaren for a radical or lotus 49? i realize based on what i was told on forum that only mosport is going to feature heavily, but the other 2 are sortve dream tracks for me, partic spa.

i figure if i see a race & really wanna join or ghost in it i can just buy the track then..

right now im looking at the 3 gt3s (will now take yr advice into consideration) & spa, mosport & bathurst. maybe swap out the mclaren for a radical or lotus 49? i realize based on what i was told on forum that only mosport is going to feature heavily, but the other 2 are sortve dream tracks for me, partic spa.

i figure if i see a race & really wanna join or ghost in it i can just buy the track then..

I would agree with Bakkster, unless you have money to spend on extra cars just for the privilege of driving them, you don't need all three GT3 cars. I own all three of them but you only need one to compete in a series. The BMW is likely going to be popular for a few seasons because its new but any of the three aren't going to magically make you a winner so pick the one you prefer. Bakkster has been playing iRacing longer than I have so I would trust his advice on what to purchase to maximize your experience with as little money as possible.

Fair enough. Its your money and you can play the game any way you want so certainly buy whatever you're going to enjoy the most. I'm sure Bakkster was trying to maximize your fun without spending an arm and a leg. iRacing can get expensive you purchase more content and not all of it is actually needed to compete if you're smart about what series you pick. That being said, I enjoy most all of the content except the oval stuff, but I've never been much into oval racing.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 495 39.1%