GT5 GT5 Time Trials Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTPromo.jpg

The question of who the fastest drivers are in the GT5 community is soon to be answered! There's no opposition and no excuses here. It's just you and your machine versus the track.

The time trials will be open to all RaceDepartment members, both licensed and unlicensed. The only requirement to take part is that you own a copy of GT5 and abide by the specific restrictions imposed by the TT. Events will run on a variety of tracks but will make use of GT5's borrow feature to ensure that everyone uses the exact same car with the exact same upgrades. The cars will be supplied by yours truly.

The prize given to the winner will vary but may include items such as cars, helmets, suits and paints, or the choice of car/track for a Club racing event. And of course, you'll win the respect of your fellow drivers. :)

Above you can see a little hint of the car and track that will be used for the first TT event. Stay tuned!

Thanks Matt and Ross :) Bad luck for Dragos as he did not have legit lap saved to beat my time, for sure that was possible.

Just for curiosity, what kind of split times you did? In my best lap I had 26.266 on 1st sector, 23.360 2nd and 26.845 3rd. 1st and 3rd were my best but earlier I had 0.2s faster in middle sector, I just cannot figure it out how I did that. The lap was completely valid, but other sectors were almost 0.5s off the pace :)

times like these seem unreal ... heck my time iis 1.46.510 only . How can you be 4 seconds quicker ????

While it's possible that a mistake has been made with regards to the tyres used, it is not particularly unusual for some drivers to be faster than others. I consider myself to be a decent driver yet there are routinely people that post times 4-5 seconds faster than me. I don't know how they do it either... but that's the difference between them and me. They have the knowledge and I don't.

The time difference could be from many places on this track.

For example, just getting the braking and line bang on into T1 will net you huge gains. That alone is probably the area where most people lose the greatest amount of time. Then you have T3-T6 which demand patience and good throttle control in this beast. Then there's the T8-T9, T10-T11 chicanes. Get it right and you can hammer through there far faster than the HUD's braking indicator (which too many people rely on) would have you believe. Finally, there's T7 and T12, both of which are long, open and banked. You can hit very high speeds through both, which makes an argument for higher gears and possibly lower downforce, depending on your style.

The point is that it is a fairly complex track and a handful of a car. Therefore, the difference between a decent lap and a good lap is huge.

I have a £3 wheel/pedal set for PC. I managed to get a podium in a rFactor Club event on Monday using it so you don't need Hundred Pound Rigs to be fast.

However, my Monday race was using easier to control cars than the Ford GT. Having a wheel for GT5 improves consistancy more than anything else. With a wheel, it is easier to control slides and drifts on the exit of corners, while with a controller, it is much harder and you are a lot likely to mess up. You won't be considerably faster using a wheel for 1 lap.

Using a wheel and pedals gives you the advantage of knowing when and where to push the throttle, when I was using the contoller, accelerating was near impossible to do flat out, so you would have to ease the trigger throttle to make a clean exit. Usin a wheel and pedals, I can get to grips with the handling/acceleration on the car much quicker and I know where I can push more in certain harder corners.

I was always adamant that there was no difference between the controller and wheel setup, but I was proven wrong a couple of years ago and now only race using the wheel.

As Ross said in his previous post, there is a lot of time to make up in quite a lot of the corners, you just have to get them right.

Karl do check all your settings, unless i am doing something wrong, i think the best i could manage would probably be a mid 42. but maybe i just dont know how to set up the car. there is always that. but to me the gap seems too big for it to be a setup discrepancy. I guess the best i would suggest is to check all the settings and doublecheck your tyres. atm with the car i borrowed the HP was at 518 weight was at 998 kg and PP somewhere around 570 - 590. In any case you might have an amazing setup there, good on you.

Allow me to try once again to clear this up once and for all.

RULE: You MUST use the car I have made available via GT5's 'borrow' feature, NOT your own cars.

The GT40 is a racing car, which means it ALREADY HAS most of the available upgrades. The ONLY upgrades available are turbo kits. However, as you are BORROWING the car from me you do not have the ability to buy them. Therefore, with this particular car it is NOT POSSIBLE for someone to be using the wrong parts.

The one and only thing the borrower has the ability to switch on this car is the tyres. The regulations for this event clearly state RACING HARD, and those are the tyres that are on the car by default.

Tuning is allowed for this event meaning people can tweak the settings of the aero, gears, suspension and whatever else if they choose to do so.

It's worth pointing out that if someone has ignored the rules/regs and is found to be cheating, they will be banned from all future TTs. Cheating will not be tolerated.

I have just borrowed the car again.....

Manual Gears
Both front and rear tyres are Racing Hard.
Driving Aids: All Off / ABS 1 maximum
Tyre/Fuel Depletion: Off
Grip Reduction: Real
Mechanical Damage: Off
Driving Line: Off.

I am using a G27 Steering Wheel and a GT Omega Racing Seat.
No, I repeat, No Turbo Kits applied/bought.
Just done a 5 lap stint and the fastest lap was 1:42.202.

I have all replays of the best laps saved, so if Ross needs to see this then I have no issues sending them to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%