Frame limiter

Hello.

Is there a frame limiter option in RRRE?

In ISImotor games, like rFactor, rFactor 2, Reiza's sims, etc, there is a setting in the PLR file to do this. In Assetto Corsa, there is one in the menu. In iRacing, there's also one in the menu.

I'm struggling to find such an option in RRRE - it doesn't seem to be in the video options, and I can't find a 'PLR'-like file...

At the moment, I'm forcing a 60fps limit using Nvidia Inspector, but this is not ideal and seems to cause some glitches.

Thanks.

You can set a 60fps limit - presuming your monitor is a standard 60Hz monitor - via Options\Video\General Settings\VSync

There is no option to set the frame rate to a specific number as you can in Assetto Corsa and iRacing - R3E frame rate is either vsync'd or unlimited.

V-sync is an effective frame limiter, but like many sim racers, I prefer to have v-sync disabled, because it creates a significant input lag. (It feels like the vehicle takes a split second longer to respond to a steering input, it has the effect of giving the vehicle more 'inertia', and therefore that little bit harder to control during big weight transfers.)

The problem is, disabling v-sync means that the framerate becomes unlocked and variable. When the frames don't sync with my monitor's refresh rate, it looks a bit 'juddery' - in my case, with a 60Hz monitor, I find that a fluctuating framerate, even one that remains way higher than 60fps, looks far less smooth than a locked 60fps.

The other sims I've mentioned allow the option to put a limit on the framerate when v-sync is disabled. I believe this is for three reasons:

1) you can choose to cap the framerate at something that syncs smoothly with your monitor's refresh rate (60, 90, and 120 would be popular choices - in my experience, 60 looks like v-sync with tearing, then it starts to look juddery until about 90, and anything above 90 looks pretty good, until 120, which is ideal - very similar to 60, but less obvious tearing).

2) having a framerate identical to the monitor refresh rate (without v-sync) can result in the torn frames appearing in the same part of the screen all the time - choosing a slightly different cap (e.g. 61) can help to avoid this.

3) it prevents the GPU from overheating due to unnecessarily high framerates.

I see it as an important feature for a sim to have - and RRRE would be very much in the minority for not offering it.

V-sync is an effective frame limiter, but like many sim racers, I prefer to have v-sync disabled, because it creates a significant input lag. (It feels like the vehicle takes a split second longer to respond to a steering input, it has the effect of giving the vehicle more 'inertia', and therefore that little bit harder to control during big weight transfers.)

The problem is, disabling v-sync means that the framerate becomes unlocked and variable. When the frames don't sync with my monitor's refresh rate, it looks a bit 'juddery' - in my case, with a 60Hz monitor, I find that a fluctuating framerate, even one that remains way higher than 60fps, looks far less smooth than a locked 60fps.

The other sims I've mentioned allow the option to put a limit on the framerate when v-sync is disabled. I believe this is for three reasons:

1) you can choose to cap the framerate at something that syncs smoothly with your monitor's refresh rate (60, 90, and 120 would be popular choices - in my experience, 60 looks like v-sync with tearing, then it starts to look juddery until about 90, and anything above 90 looks pretty good, until 120, which is ideal - very similar to 60, but less obvious tearing).

2) having a framerate identical to the monitor refresh rate (without v-sync) can result in the torn frames appearing in the same part of the screen all the time - choosing a slightly different cap (e.g. 61) can help to avoid this.

3) it prevents the GPU from overheating due to unnecessarily high framerates.

I see it as an important feature for a sim to have - and RRRE would be very much in the minority for not offering it.

There's no frame limiter option in R3E, at least through the in game menu. You might be able to edit an ini file in the game directory. If you have an Nvidia card, you can do it through the drivers.

There's no frame limiter option in R3E, at least through the in game menu. You might be able to edit an ini file in the game directory. If you have an Nvidia card, you can do it through the drivers.
Indeed, in my opening post I said that I'm currently forcing a 60fps limit with Nvidia Inspector, but it seems to be causing some stability problems. In ISImotor sims there is a PLR file to edit, but I can't find one here, or an INI. It sounds like the feature is not available.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 338 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 467 39.0%