Do Headlights Actually Work?

Hiya! =D
I was wondering about the question of the thread title, obviously.
Based on tips on .plr file alterations, I set my game to set in-game time to the actual time set on my computer. Well, THAT certainly worked, as I was just going in to practice at 1970 Osterrichsring .. and it was indeed QUITE dark out, just like it is outside.
I was in the BMW 2002, and tried to turn on headlights. While the headlights DID turn on, they illuminated nothing.
In my .plr file, headlight effects is set to 1 .. should it be set to something else? Do headlights simply not actually work, being just graphical? Perhaps the headlights simply don't work on this particular car?
What's going on here? I can't believe headlights don't ACTUALLY function. That would be very very very very disappointing. :(

There is only one light source in Race07: the ambient light. No point sources what so ever. The head lights are just a transparent gradient "cone" that increases the mid-level (gamma) lighting values along that shape, it doesn't actually illuminate any surfaces.. Mind you, external light sources require a lot of processing power, something all virtual races suffer: our driving surface is 100 times as complex as regular FPS ground shape. So we deal with raw, very complex shapes under our tires all the time.. If the road were completely smooth, we could get a lot more eye-candy but simracing in DX9 or DX11, not much is going to change for us as the raw processing power required to deal with the next gen road shapes (that are 10 times more complex than what we have now and they are still holding back on the realism). We still have to deal with lots of triangles, thus shaders always comes last.

please if anyone can tell me how to import lights in race 07 custom skin.I can do that but the headlights stay black.I save body.dds dxt1 6minimaps ,windows dxt5 6mmaps ,windows int dxt5 no mmaps.so the question is how to make lights to be transparent-not black.(like windows).? please help?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back