Disable/enable UAC? (windows 7)

Well it's finally time to part ways with XP (good night sweet prince, in the end you were almost as good as win2000). So hopefully by this weekend I'll have the new machine together and working on the software. Just been trying to read up on as much as I can and for any kind of potential issues. I thought with Windows vista/7/8 the requirements were to NOT install in "program files" and to make sure DEP was set correctly for all (RS)RBR related exe files. This I saw this post over at rallyesim forums:

http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=442&sid=dbb1316a9a5318514c7613124cd8bea1

I know it's a bit dated, so I wasn't sure if this still applies or not. Tried searching through threads here and haven't seen any mention of it.

My experience with Win 7 64:
I've always avoided installing into the default path (Program Files(x86)), and I install to it's own path such as E:/Richard Burns Rally.
I also keep my UAC disabled.
I've never had to worry about setting any special DEP settings.

So far I've installed RBR and most of the RSRBR programs each year without any problems or issues.

I've not yet installed RSRBR2014 (still on 2013), but I wouldn't expect it to be any different in this regard.

I think you can get rid of any DEP message (just cut it off) and start a good life on a better OS than XP.
This DEP is unnecessary if you know what you are doing on your system.
I'm running on Windows 7 without any issues. Maybe give xp-antispy a chance. Yeah it come with 7 suppport.
Anything else just shout:)

Yeah, I haven't noticed any difference between using the DEP settings and not. Had some issues, but it wasn't related to that as it was the same either way. So after a few days of cursing, hair-pulling, and a couple animal sacrifices, I'm left with one [small] problem.

If I use any particle mod/files other than the default ones, no particles/dust shows up. Which is odd because I saved the files from the old system that I know worked. I tried the particle files I know were working (Kahoo v5), a fresh copy of Kahoo v5, Kahoo v3, particle mod for czech plugin (RBR-Particle-Mod-v1.2), and one other set. None work.

Old System:
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE
4GB RAM
GTX 650TI
Windows XP/w SP3

New System:
Intel i5 4670k
8GB RAM
GTX 770 (2GB)
Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit

Last edited:

Latest News