2012 Formula One Canadian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said I don't want to get into this as I could argue this for days. I'll put forth one last statement:

The U.S.A. government is like a business and they've showed over the years they support big (capitalist) businesses and try to bring in the most money as possible while screwing over the little guys, look at oil for a prime example. That is in very basic terms the definition of capitalism making the government a bunch of capitalists.

By the way what do you mean we'll have two GP's on the F1 calender next year?

For anyone who is planning on attending the 2012 Canadian GP in Montreal and do NOT want to miss the race, give yourself plenty of time to walk to the track in case the metro is shutdown. In fact count on the metro being shutdown. For the most part I think the F1 visitors will be safe, but you know there is civil disobedience that is being planned. In recent months smoke bombs have shutdown the metro and you can pretty much count on massive demonstrations Friday and Saturday night around Peel and Crescent Streets where many nightclubs cater to out of town visitors. Nothing short of bringing down the Capitalist system and replacing it with Marxism is the goal of these so called students protestors and the fame and money of an F1 event complete with international TV coverage is the sort of target these protestors will be seeking to shutdown. I am pretty sure the race will go on, but the stands could very well be empty if the fans are prevented from getting to the venue. Enjoy the race. this could very well be the last Grand Prix race in Montreal.
Why did I think Canadians were so well behaved?:(
Is the protest link to F1 (disrupting the event) about cost?

If they shut down that metro make sure to give yourself a LOT of extra time to get there. I went in 2010 and its 45 mins to an hour from the metro to the MAIN grandstands letalone anywhere farther along the track. If the metro was down I would've never walked from the hotel lol call the cabbies!

Maybe students here in the USA should protest education costs. Sure I can go get a trade certification at a local state funded community college for a few hundred dollars, but to actually get a degree from a decent university I think the average is somewhere around 10,000 a year.

Perhaps we're so uneducated because education is so expensive. You can also get student loans to help cover university tuition costs, but then you're on your own after graduation, 40k in debt, in a shitty job market.

Sexism in F1?
I'm pretty sure females have the exact same opportunity to get involved (see Susie Wolfe, etc) they're just not quick enough.
Susie Wolfs is married to one of the biggest investors of the Williams team :) She is not "testing" the car because of her driving skills, I am pretty sure.

However if a Louisa Hamilton is born I am sure she would end up in F1 as well.

Woman are objects most of the time, see the pitbabes, the stewards, etc. 100% of the time the role of woman was to show body, be pretty, smile and shut up.
So? I still prefer women in such positions rather than men, no offense :)

I prefer this

621641-bigthumbnail.jpg

over this anytime

groupshot691400.jpg

Given that Montreal is relatively cold, and the track is pretty much straights with a couple corners, I can see Mercedes doing well here too. Perhaps a 1-2, if Schumacher doesn't get rotten luck again.

Canadian GP faces protest

Student bodies have threatened a "weekend of disruption", with a view to having the race cancelled, claiming that it espouses "sexist, non-environmental and elitist values".

Gilles Villeneuve must be rolling in his grave. Silly students.

Elitist? Well, it is a competitive sport, supposedly. Of course it's going to be elitist. Non-environmental? Oh, lets ban motorsports, that will make the world clean and green.

I can see the sexist claims though. But that just mirrors the whole society being still sexist, so you can't claim it's just motorsports. And it's not something you change in one generation.

And back to the race. I can see Ferrari not doing so well here. Just a feeling though, I hope I'm wrong. As for McLaren, it's a mystery.

So? I still prefer women in such positions rather than men, no offense :)
Weren't there grid boys in Valencia a few years back? :p

About the students: I can sympathize with their cause, especially since tuition fees are so much lower here in Europe. I've done my entire Bachelor's degree with less money than Chris said he spends for one semester...
However: Hands off my F1 :mad:

Ferrari were fast enough last year in Monaco and Canada, this year, uknown.
Redbull, hmmmm no EBD so we'll see.
Mclaren, off the pace?
Mercedes, double DRS on so many straights, possible 1-2.
...how the year is going? ^ thats unpredictable.

Weren't there grid boys in Valencia a few years back? :p

About the students: I can sympathize with their cause, especially since tuition fees are so much lower here in Europe. I've done my entire Bachelor's degree with less money than Chris said he spends for one semester...
However: Hands off my F1 :mad:
It's also good to point out I'm in engineering which is more costly, but still it's $3200-$3500 a semester for anything else to my knowledge. Also I know my friends are moving to Holland for schooling and they said the cost of living is a lot higher (hehe ucwutididthair?) then in Canada because land is more expensive.

Either way this race will go on without a doubt. If they could race in Bahrain with all that going on, there's not a chance they'll let some Frenchies get in the way. From what I've read police haven't been shooting students for fun and breaking their human rights. Also anyone who gets in the way of people trying to get to the race will be arrested and we saw from the G20 protests that the police can jail them quickly in large numbers ;)

As I said I don't want to get into this as I could argue this for days. I'll put forth one last statement:

The U.S.A. government is like a business and they've showed over the years they support big (capitalist) businesses and try to bring in the most money as possible while screwing over the little guys, look at oil for a prime example. That is in very basic terms the definition of capitalism making the government a bunch of capitalists.

By the way what do you mean we'll have two GP's on the F1 calender next year?
I agree this is way off topic and I don't want to debate it here either. I only say this then I'm done too.

The above is an inaccurate over simplification.

Both countries are based on capitalism because they both allow privately owned businesses and enterprises.

Ferrari were fast enough last year in Monaco and Canada, this year, uknown.
Redbull, hmmmm no EBD so we'll see.
Mclaren, off the pace?
Mercedes, double DRS on so many straights, possible 1-2.
...how the year is going? ^ thats unpredictable.
Mercedes might be strong in qualy but I'm not sold on race performance. There has been other tracks with lots of straights and they haven't exactly dominated. But I wouldn't be surprised if they are top 5 qualy.

Onto the sexiest topic of these protests, there's plenty of women in f1 that aren't just umbrella girls/promo girls. Have these protestors looked into the teams. For example Sauber? They also quite obviously have no idea about Motorsport at all.

Mercedes might be strong in qualy but I'm not sold on race performance. There has been other tracks with lots of straights and they haven't exactly dominated. But I wouldn't be surprised if they are top 5 qualy.

Onto the sexiest topic of these protests, there's plenty of women in f1 that aren't just umbrella girls/promo girls. Have these protestors looked into the teams. For example Sauber? They also quite obviously have no idea about Motorsport at all.
Yep but pretty girls only hold the umbrellas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back