I was encouraged about their concrete talk of "pit stops" and "tire wear" in the endurance race mention.

Can someone explain what they mean by TOCA style racing? I was not gaming then.

For me, it sounds like this could be big. Although it's probably too much to ask for Ovals (although they had one, Indy, in GRID2 I believe), the key will be the setups/customization, the physics, and the penalty system/pit gameplay. They have proven they can handle all of them, but do some better than others. My guess is that detailed setups will be lacking as usual, but if they get the customization and penalty system right (at least in "endurance" races) this could be our x360 project cars that actually gets released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOCA_Race_Driver_3

Great game in its day.

Thank you. It does sound great. Sounds like it had everything.

How can a company strive so hard and get 95% of everything right and let that other 5% relegate the game to mediocre, at best? Upon the latest news, I feel that's what we are going to get with Grid: Autosport.

Toca: "The game allows, and sometimes requires, pit stops during which cars can get new tires, fuel, and repairs." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOCA_Race_Driver_3

Grid Autosport: No pitstops. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109056267&postcount=100

What game can seriously call itself "a more authentic racing game" without pitstops?

Without them, tire wear is virtually meaningless and you can't have any real damage model.

Too bad Codemasters just can't get out of their own way, because I think they have demonstrated they have the talent and the knowledge to make a truly authentic, broad-based racer for the console.

The thing is, you never know if the same development teams work on each of these games. Codemasters as a company very likely has multiple teams in different locations working different projects. There may be a team dedicated to the Dirt series, another team dedicated to the Grid series. And then there's a very good possibility that teams change over time. TOCA was created in 2006, 8 years later, its unlikely that same exact team is making Grid Autosport so sometimes what was important to one design team may not be to another. Its unfortunate but we just have to live with the product we're given or choose not to purchase it. I think thats why early access games are so popular right now because fans love providing feedback on what works, what doesnt, what needs to be changed or implemented. Assetto Corsa is very much proof of what can be done with early access done right.

The thing is, you never know if the same development teams work on each of these games. Codemasters as a company very likely has multiple teams in different locations working different projects. There may be a team dedicated to the Dirt series, another team dedicated to the Grid series. And then there's a very good possibility that teams change over time. TOCA was created in 2006, 8 years later, its unlikely that same exact team is making Grid Autosport so sometimes what was important to one design team may not be to another. Its unfortunate but we just have to live with the product we're given or choose not to purchase it. I think thats why early access games are so popular right now because fans love providing feedback on what works, what doesnt, what needs to be changed or implemented. Assetto Corsa is very much proof of what can be done with early access done right.

No doubt we have to choose with our wallets. That's precisely why I have not pre-ordered Autosport and why it's coming out in the first place.

However, you would think any "development team" would know what a pitstop is, right? Assuming that's a given, all I'm saying is that the lack of pit stops seems out of synch with their stated objective of "getting back to their roots" and being more on the SIM side.

In fact, it's pretty much a deal breaker for the league racer or one who wants any semblance of real series racing, either on or off line.

Robert, I don't think its a matter of knowing what a pit stop is, certainly anyone involved in the development of a racing game knows what a pit stop is, but its simply a matter of, does the development team think pit stops are something their customers want enough to implement.

That being said, I would count on too much "sim" from Codemasters. They may want to make the driving model more realistic than Grid or Grid 2, but you're not going to see the next iRacing or Assetto Corsa from Codemasters.

Blk, yes, clearly my comment was a little tongue in cheek, but the real dissonance here is with Codemasters' mea culpa of sorts, combined with their promise to "make it more on the SIM side and return to their TOCA roots" (both of which clearly would imply pit stops). Not to mention their "listening to the community" rationale for releasing Autosport in the first place.

But you do have a good side point -- that "listening to the community" when it comes to Codemasters is more akin to trying to sell the most games with maybe a nod to what they think people will buy (i.e. sales numbers produced Autosport, not community feedback...we never would have seen it if GRID2 has sold gangbusters). I wish I had a PC to experience a true SIM that does develop through community feedback, like Assetto.

Blk, yes, clearly my comment was a little tongue in cheek, but the real dissonance here is with Codemasters' mea culpa of sorts, combined with their promise to "make it more on the SIM side and return to their TOCA roots" (both of which clearly would imply pit stops). Not to mention their "listening to the community" rationale for releasing Autosport in the first place.

But you do have a good side point -- that "listening to the community" when it comes to Codemasters is more akin to trying to sell the most games with maybe a nod to what they think people will buy (i.e. sales numbers produced Autosport, not community feedback...we never would have seen it if GRID2 has sold gangbusters). I wish I had a PC to experience a true SIM that does develop through community feedback, like Assetto.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is another game that is still in development and they listen to feedback. I really like that game as well.

Well, that's nice. I sure hope that will be available at launch though and not 6 months later after release. Something tells me they're much closer to release date than they're letting on right now.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%