Formula E: The New Global Electric Racing Series

Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Formula E: The New Global Electric Racing Series

[youtube]

Formula E is a new FIA championship featuring Formula cars powered exclusively by electric energy. It represents a vision for the future of the motor industry over the coming decades, serving as a framework for research and development around the electric vehicle, accelerating general interest in these cars and promoting sustainability.

Commencing in September 2014 through to June 2015, the Championship will compete in the heart of 10 of the...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, in-depth article Howard!

To be honest, I don't know what's not to like about it. I do believe that we should be focusing on using less petrol rather than none at all, however innovation is always a great thing in motorsport.

At the very least, it will be something to follow next summer. We could do with it now!

Sounds like it will be fun. In their video there are some shots of Rome, Italy, but the city is not in the schedule. Strange (I was born there).

As far as the noise, they do sound futuristic and I am curious to hear them on track together. Maybe they can clip a playing card near the wheel spokes? It worked really well for my bike when I was 8yo.

Well if it takes loads of truck, boats and airplanes to move the circus around the world, the amount of petrol to be saved is less 1%.
Lets see how many top-drivers are jumping in to drive a 800 kilo / 180 HP racing car.
Will be a giant step back for GP2 drivers. Don't think they get any usable experience for later F1 aspirations.
Still looking forward to see those races.

@Richard Hessels
I hardly think it's about saving fuel. It's about new technology. Sure 180hp doesn't sound so awesome but this is something that will progress. We all know how the automobile industry has benefited from motorsports during the years when it comes to technology, thats the main reason why manufacturers like Audi are investing in this new series.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 40.0%