Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
CVG had the following to report about GRID 2. Seems that after many years a sequel is in the making.
Race Driver: GRID released way back in 2008 and people liked it. A lot. So where the bloody hell's the sequel? It's coming, according to the Official Xbox Magazine UK.

The rumours page of the latest issue of OXM gives GRID fans a new reason to be excited. "The GRID team at Codemasters is actively working on GRID 2," says the magazine. "It's likely to arrive after the release of F1 2012."

F1 2012 is expected to hit shops in September, so it's possible Codies could be eyeing a late 2012 release for the currently unannounced sequel.
There have been whispers of a GRID 2 stretching back to 2010, so an announcement is overdue. But with Codemasters having recently made the shift to a dedicated racing development studio, we wouldn't be surprised to hear something more concrete soon.
Source: CVG

Dont you mean:
how small the sim racing numbers are...playing Grid in cockpit view online...in proportion to the entire gaming community....?

Sounds like they got stats from the previous game, not the entire community.
Anyway, I quite enjoyed a blast on Grid in cockpit view but never online.

Grid is not exactly the first port of call for 'sim racers' anyway is it?
So apart from sim racers getting a bit bent out if shape with the notion that a 'driving game' is excluding cockpit view on principal, its probably not a game a sim racer would be paying out for anyway. And even if they did, it wouldnt be for realism, it would be for fun, which consoles are aimed at, rather than high end PC gaming rigs.
I stand corrected, but you get my drift. I cling to my naive belief that all games should be, fun and wonder why sim racers in particular seem to torture themselves over every game that potentially uses a steering wheel.:confused:

For me that's the bit that made these games great .. it was the cockpit view great detail and the sound and visual effects, ( it was never about the physics) all racing round with a group of friends on a Saturday night after a few beers...Dirt/shift has the same effect ....
Stunning graphics and crashes...
If i want serious i use a sim....
you cant seem to have the same fun with a sim the physics/(or my ability) don't allow it.. imo
I know i cant drift my 600 bhp monster through this twisty track in my real/sim/world but i can in Grid.. i am a driving god that oozes Kudos out my exhaust:roflmao: and if you can do all this in cockpit view...:notworthy:

Im surprised people continued to buy Codemasters racing games after the 2nd installment I had of TOCA Touring Cars(2)on the old PSX.
Absolute rubbish at the time & the few other Codemasters racing games I tried since then were no better.
It doesn't matter how good something looks, when it comes to racing it's all about feel & this is something they've never mastered as far as Im concerned so have never given them my money again & never will for a racing game either....

Getting rid of cockpit view is fine by me. It's one of the most useless things in racing games/sims.

Unless you have a triple monitor setup, you're pretty limited on screen area...and having most of that area devoted to displaying the inside of your car is just silly. Your focus in a real car is on the road - and in a racing game/sim I prefer to focus on the road & my surroundings as well.

I mean, I guess I could slide my seat waaaaay back and drive with my fingertips so I can take in the glory of the interior of my Ford, but...

In fact in a real race car you will be sitting waaaay back than in a normal car, and therefore you will see the same you see now in cockpit view. I race only iRacing because of that.

It looks to me that you never paid enough attention to FOV adjustment ;)

I loved the Cockpit view in Grid and all the Codie games... but getting rid of such an awesome camera is ... :( If there will be no cockpit camera I think I will not buy it. I mean I wanted to get it when its released but reading this is just shocking. Its a really nice game to play for fun and the cockpit view with all its sound effects and everything was just epic :unsure:. Without it a huge fun-factor will be missed and many people will simply not get the game because of that feature ... codies is surely dropping the ball ... "We will concentrate only on racing games now" ... yeah and now you taking away key features that we all love in racing games specially grid .. :thumbsdown: .. thats just sad :unsure:

I stand corrected, but you get my drift. I cling to my naive belief that all games should be, fun and wonder why sim racers in particular seem to torture themselves over every game that potentially uses a steering wheel.:confused:

Yeah I did get your drift mate. Its a sad loss, but for me, I gave up CM console ported games after F1 2011 and I simply will not be mugged off by them again, expecting and hoping for something which they seem to promise often, but deliver rarely.

Yes I had fun playing Grid in cockpit view, and I still can play Grid in cockpit view - so not all is lost.
For new titles, something to get excited about, pay money for and have serious sim fun, it has to be bespoke to PC.

Last videogame I saw they removed cockpit view was last Need for Speed Hot Pursuit... and the game was a *bad word* childish commercial result!

That's why I'm very scary about this GRID2!
Everybody has great expectations for it due to GRID1, but I scare much more that removing the Cockpit view is an hint about the fact next GRID could be just a commercial game.

And for commercial I mean a game which includes only what does sell the most (and the target is casual gamers, not us: hardcore gamers).

Also a DLC already in program is a clue for what I fear!

DLCs shouldn't be already planned before game releases: is so much a commercial trick!

So instead than hoping for the best looking at GRID1, I fear the worst looking at Codemaster's PR lyings.

And the first lie is the worst: only 5% wants cockpit?
Maybe... if you include all millions of casual players!

But what if you look at real hard gamers which loved GRID1?
Look it better... it's over 50%!

My opinion? GRID2 will be a commercial delusion game!

Yeah I did get your drift mate. Its a sad loss, but for me, I gave up CM console ported games after F1 2011 and I simply will not be mugged off by them again, expecting and hoping for something which they seem to promise often, but deliver rarely.

Yes I had fun playing Grid in cockpit view, and I still can play Grid in cockpit view - so not all is lost.
For new titles, something to get excited about, pay money for and have serious sim fun, it has to be bespoke to PC.
I never could play Grid, I just found it to be undrivable. Mostly use pc but I enjoyed Shift and Forza on Xbox and GT5 on PS3 as well. Codies lost the plot after Toca 2 and CM2, I never enjoyed their driving games after that and I'm not a big F1 sim fan.

I never could play Grid, I just found it to be undrivable. Mostly use pc but I enjoyed Shift and Forza on Xbox and GT5 on PS3 as well. Codies lost the plot after Toca 2 and CM2, I never enjoyed their driving games after that and I'm not a big F1 sim fan.

Grid was very easy to drive but okay and yeah codies changed their style .. its now for the "wider audience" :/ ... that means arcade. If you want to simrace stay with rfactor,Iracing or other stuff .. but those console stuff really is going down.

For me it's very easy. I'm utterly disappointed that there will be no cockpit view, however I will still buy the game to have a great time. If they manage to create a cockpit view and release it as DLC once the game has been released, it would be fantastic. I doubt that will happen, though. The only thing I know is that I'm looking forward to racing you all online ;)

At least until they kill the server support :p
GRID's servers were online for 3 years before they were taken down. It was a disappointing though logical decision since the most of its players were playing either the DiRT games or NFS Shift. I reckon GRID 2's servers will be supported for longer than 3 years, since it really seems a big deal for Codemasters. Enough time to have some nice races, I think ;)

Grid 2 is a Arcade Racer for the consoles!!

It's the sort of thing my son (though he enjoys Race Pro) and my Nephew will play and enjoy and fellas having a night in with mates and their beers to have a lark around with. That's it's market and it will probably be a commercial success!!

Why us Sim racers even bother to worry ourselves about it when we have the likes of Assetto Corsa on the horizon and the already brilliant GSC2012 and the promissing (though ugly) rF2 already with us I reallly don't know :rolleyes: .

In my opinion, cockpit view is almost useless in anything other than an open wheel car. I always used bonnet view in every driving game, well T-cam in F1 2010 & 2011. However when I got GSC I swtched to cockpit view and as I said, that works ok in an open wheeler but in any other game/car it's no fun since you really don't see much of your surrondings or fellow drivers.

Yes, I know you will now argue "that is how real drivers do it" but tbh, it's nowhere near the same thing as a real driver, in a real car. He (or her ;)) can turn his head and tilt it in all directions, something that is not possible in a game, at least not without some extra hardware and support for it.

This is not a argument for leaving it out of the game, it's just not especially important for me but I understand others who want to go "all in" sts.
Liked the first Grid, it's not a sim but I had some serious fun with it, not sure if I will buy this one but I might. :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 89 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 334 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 463 39.1%