How many monitors do you use to race?

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
Polly time!

We are discussing an interesting issue in the Assetto Corsa forums about triple screens. This raised the question what average RD members use so please take a second to vote on the poll :)

LED screens have higher quality image, 50% less power consumption, weigh less, usually have thinner borders, screen is thinner and they don't produce as much heat as LCD screens.

In other words they are better in every possible way, actually cheaper to make aswell since they need much less materials to build them with :D

Upvote 0
As much as I would love to say great answer Robert, you are not quite on base with yours.

LED and LCD monitors and TV's are identical in quite a number of ways. The main difference is how the pixels are lit. Standard LCD displays use a type of fluorescent light to light their LCD panels where LED screens use LED's to light the LCD display.

With LED displays, there are 2 types, back lit and edge lit LCD screens using LED's for the light source. The edge lit technology allows for slimmer monitors and most likely less energy consumption, but back lighting with LED's allows for localized changes to brightness making images a lot crisper and with more depth.

As for energy consumption, that all depends on how the manufacturer put things together really. Do LED's wrong and they will consume more energy than a standard LCD display.

EDIT: I guess I should also answer Jack's question. Yes LED's do have an advantage over standard LCD displays in that they are able to produce larger differences in black level giving the monitor a higher contrast ration.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Some interesting things to consider there.

I guess the main limiting factor will be the price when I do come to replace my current monitor.

I am actually getting used to this insect in the middle of my screen now. I just think of it as a fly on my visor but I've run out of tearoffs...........still bloody annoying though. :mad::x3:

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure you can do that with softTH but there is much more of performance hit than if you run off 1 card or Crossfire/SLi.

I used softTH in Simbin Titles successfully for a while using 8800GTX and the on-board 7 Series card as the framebuffer for the third monitor. Performance was fine on my system of the time although there was a huge overclock on the processor. Worth noting they were not 1080p monitors though.

Upvote 0
SoftTH seems like a good solution for older titles like the Race series and rFactor. However I think my (and most people's) system will struggle if you try running it on one of the coming titles (AC, rF2, GTR3, pCars) on 3x1080p mons at max settings (anything less is a nogo for me).

Upvote 0
SoftTH seems like a good solution for older titles like the Race series and rFactor. However I think my (and most people's) system will struggle if you try running it on one of the coming titles (AC, rF2, GTR3, pCars) on 3x1080p mons at max settings (anything less is a nogo for me).

Yeh for sure it's gonna need a lot more horsepower for modern stuff. It's been a while since I tried it but don't really have the equipment atm to learn anything from trying it.

Upvote 0
Got a new projector yesterday. Just curious if it'd be possible to play using this thing, I guess I'd need a good 5-6 meters distance to the wall. It's not mounted yet, we were just giving it a shot before buying - that's why it isn't exactly aligned yet.

561299_10150982711824022_702418889_n.jpg

Upvote 0
I use an AMD Eyefinity system with three monitors. Now I can have a reasonable scaling/field of view, while still being able to observe what is shown in the mirrors of my MAK F1 2007 racer. Sensation of high speed got better when I got side-monitors. I like the the hardware driver technology that wasn't totally impossible to configure.

Upvote 0
I hate you guys :(
I race on, depending on the circumstances, my iMac or my iMac connected to my 50" Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO 111FD. Might not be triple screen but looks amazing on either display.

Upvote 0
It is very simple: triple screens are BAD for you!

You will not even touch sims or games that do not support 3screens anymore, once you tried it.

It is a must for driving sims. You would not want to drive a racing car with blinds on, do you! That's what a single screen is, compared to. And yes, you must try it yourself to see what it does. Completely different thing than trackir.

Would be nice to have statistics about 3screen use over the past 5 years or so, I think it will show a steep upwards curve.
It is the direction things are going in, see the aspect ratio evolution from 4:3 to 16:9 to... curved 48:9 screens that come standard with any new pc maybe? (and, not only for racing/gaming but it gives lovely more working space for your desktop apps )

Insane for racing sim devs to ignore triple screens.

Yeah, I voted for 3 Monitors ;)

Upvote 0
aswell as sim racing games triple screen is awesome for games like GTA too, the city just looks amazing when you can see all of it at once :D
I sceen captured it (4320x900) and you can get an idea of how it looks on single screen but very short image lol, if you have eyefinity on then when you fullscreen youtube will actually show it over all 3 too :D

Upvote 0
Why 3 mini screens? There's no need for 3 screens, there's one for each eye which covers almost all of that eyes peripheral vision (total 110 degrees, yes you have higher peripheral vision but you don't actually see much on the last bit, but ofc I'd love if it was 180 too :)). Problem is it needs support from the game devs, which means it will be a nogo for older games like rF, Race07 etc etc.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing