Shelby Tribute @ Road Atlanta 70 - Tue 29th May 2012

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyergtc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: Default GTC65: Shelby GT350 / AC Cobra 427
Track: Road Atlanta 1970 ( download )

Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 19.30 (14 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 19.50 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.10 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.20 (14 laps)

Note1: Default Cars & Skins Only ( Default list )
Note2: Race 1 - GT350 // Race 2 - Cobra 427
Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Stuart Thomson
  2. Knut Omdal Tveito
  3. Hans Sneep
  4. Tim Ling
  5. Roland Warmenhoven
  6. Peter van Zanten
  7. Ian Strom
  8. Rupe Wilson
  9. Paul M Jones
  10. Carlos Diaz
  11. Sean Armstrong
  12. Andreas Scholz
  13. Jack Smith
  14. David Cuthill
  15. Warren Dawes
  16. Neil Gault
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver

Well that was a lot of fun. Fantastic cars and track:thumbsup:

First race was a great battle from start to finish with Neil. Was able to keep it very close throughout. I got past a few times, but Neil regained the position every time. Great driving Neil!

Second race was a little quiet for me, but had an absolute blast in the Cobra. Great match for this track.

Thanks to all of you that showed up and thanks to Stuart for another cracker.

That was a ton of fun, I had missed my GTL fix recently, good to join you all again. I see the GTL popularity has risen while I was away, is that connected? :whistling:

Great choice of Track and Cars, these were quite a handful, especially the Cobra, but that is what makes GTL such a classic.

Race 1, Shelby 350:
Stuffed up Qualy and started at the back, but had esteemed company in Knut beside me. After seeing lots of funny incidents, I was amazed to be P7 by the end of lap1, without actually pulling a full pass on anyone. There seemed to be carnage everywhere. :D. I had Neil and Knut on my tail, and Jack in front. I drove a couple of very untidy laps as I was trying to find my GTL feet again, but Neil and Knut were kind and didn't try to lunge at me. They were having a ding dong battle behind me. :thumbsup:. Eventually, I could pull a gap on their scrap and close up to Jack. Surprisingly, we were P2 and P3 by now.
About mid race, I had a scare, right behind Jack and he disappeared. One of us was having connection problems but who? I backed off but kept going, terrified I might hit an invisible Jack, and then I heard my TS disconnect. So it was me who was disconnecting or lagging. Just as I was about to hit ESC, Jack re-appeared again, but further in front. Phew!!. I slowly reeled Jack in again, but he was driving an inspired race, very clean and tidy. Over the closing laps, I was right on Jack's tail, but he kept his cool brilliantly to finish P2 just in front of me. Well done Jack, looks like we have a new "alien". :alien:.

Grats to Stu for the win.

Race 2, Cobra: Man, what a handful this one is, but that sound. :)
Started at the back again, this time with Roland as high profile company. Got caught up in the aftermath of the melee of Stuart, Andreas, and Rupe who were blocking the road just after the tight right hander. Had some close encounters with Hans, and Roland for a bit. Eventually, I had a typical Cobra spin over the last sweeper, into the barrier. Spent what seemed an eternity wheelspinning and doughnutting in the grass before resuming again. Thank God I took extra fuel. :rolleyes:. Kept it on the road after that and finished a very surprising P4 as a few drivers crashed or pitted.

Grats to Knut for the win.

Thanks all, great fun as usual with the GTL gentleman's club, in brutishly fun cars. :)

Roland had indicated to me that in the preceeding event ( Thursday ) he noticed that when following me that I was steering excessively, oversteering, tires always at a bad angle in the corners. So yesterday before race time I decided to change the degrees of rotation of the G27 from 425 to 650. I don't know if that had a impact on the cars' performances but I had much better results than I normally do. Both cars seemed much easier to control when handling corners, much smoother... not nearly as much fighting the wheel. Time will tell if that was the key to my improved performance or just an anomaly and a one hit wonder:) .

Had good results for me in both qualies. Both cars felt very steady. My pace was fair as compared to the pack.

Race 1. Found myself in 4th for a good part, being chased by Warren, until I see in replay that Roland and Carlos had an off...Stu obtained 1st and I was able to gain 2nd at their expense... so not really great driving by me. Warren was putting the pressure on for the remainder of the race but I was able to hang on to the finish. Must admit I felt the pressure. I hope those nasty stains will come out!:rolleyes:

Race 2. Things went will for me again. 2nd place found me shortly after the start and I remained there for a quarter of the race until I misjudged the last corner appproaching a crashing Ian...oops...now in 4th. Through mishaps of others and good racing by all around me I found myself behind Stu in 2nd place with one lap to go. Tried to add a tad too much gas coming out of a corner and got surprised by a spin halfway round the last lap..... went over the fence and spun in no-man's land for an eternity.... hit escape and returned 20 years later, 30 years younger with a string of beads around my neck and wearing a tie-dyed teashirt.

Fun as always. Thanks Stu for the event. WD to all drivers.

Once again the fun started on Monday night.. all gunning for top time:)
And by the time race night comes, your in full flow and ready to go ..

i got of the line ok in race 1 but couldn't find second gear..( first time with a proper gearbox... bye bye flappy paddles) ...so sorry for going slow 200m up the track..:redface:
everything after that went ok... until i got caught up in the guys in front as one dipped inside in a corner the other car starts to spin ... i had nowhere to go .. but i did push you straight ... but then i was spinning myself got a little tap...( no bodies fault he also had no escape route).. we waited for each other and then set off after the pack... and before long i could see them in the distance getting closer.. by the end of the race id managed to overtake what felt like half the pack and picked of a couple more right near the end of the race ...( fuel i think i heard from Roland.... i crossed line on vapour)
even with the poor start .. that was one of my best runs so far ....
which was totally out shadowed by JACK... WOW...its nice to get a boost in your lap times like that...better than any car setup... Watch out Knut hes after your position at the front :O_o:.....
Race 2 was just crazy...after a funny start we all got going ok but there was a lot of bunching in the corners ... accident waiting to happen.. i missed the first one just ...
Andreas and Stuart got together just in front of my bumper.... how i got through that ill never know... only to T bone Peter the next time round.... sorry Peter... i could see the scuffle ahead and tried to keep real tight so i missed it and clipped the inside of the corner i still tried to move more to the left but ended up twitching and kicking right:( ..
and once again like a true gent as i got going there was Peter waiting..(i was not expecting this as it was my fault)
This is what makes GTL evening so much fun, the courtesy that people show to each other is really good... wd all..
So of we went again trying to catch the pack .... great fun sliding around the corners
....A great track and some nice cars.....keep it up...i like this alot..:thumbsup:

Not really a proper tribute for me, as I don't think mr. Shelby would have been very proud of my performance yesterday..:D

Started R1 in 7th, got up to 4th by turn 1 following Stuart, Carlos and David until after a few laps both red Shelby's had a slowdown, so I found myself chasing Carlos for the lead for a number of laps until just about halfway I suddenly locked up under braking at the end of the straight and collected Carlos on my way off:(:(. I'm really sorry for that, felt like a bottom to use Eck's words..:redface:. We continued in 7th and 8th and had some fun with Rupe and Peter until I made the same mistake once more at the end.

In the Cobra, it took me 6 attempts in practice to even set a (slow) timed lap, and some 4 more tries to set another, fast, one so no surprise I ballsed up Q2 and ended up on my roof over the fence.
Starting R2 from the back we indeed had an entertaining view of all that was happening in front in the opening laps.. Got from 15th to 7th and back to 13th and then up to 7th again, all because of people making even more mistakes than I did:laugh:. After a traveling around with Warren for a while I found myself on a lonely piece of the track, until I was given 5th because of another accident in front. Made my share of mistakes near the end as well, so I had to come into pits on lap 13 for a SnG penalty and finished the race there, dropping from 5th to around 10th I think..:cool:

Grats to both podiums, and to @Sean Armstrong for completing his first and @Andreas Scholz for his 2nd event; you did not really pick an easy one for a debut:D

To me this event made it a lot more clear that I am not that good at driving Muscle as maybe I thought I was:roflmao::laugh:, but @Jack Smith is:thumbsup:, nonetheless hope to see you all on track again soon!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%