A Chill Chilean Drive - H2 FWD @ Chile - 17th to 21st May 2024

Hey @Roy Magnes , for the comments on the Golf power:
1 - Has the practically the same p/w as the 205 (0,205 vs 0,20) while being ~10% heavier, which imho is a greater disadvantage in such lightweight class (assuming these UI's are even accurate to physics...*)
2 - (In my hands) understeers a bit more, w/ less bite on entry, and requires more throwing around to keep same corner speed as the 205, so it forgives less on bad lines if you get distracted
3 - Because of both points above, (to my hability) also eats tyres more and becomes increasingly sluggish to drive on longer stints (but in predictable way!). (my harder set only did SS3+SS4 and it was enough to put them on red!)

Still, I prefer it to the 205 because it's easier to me to judge when it'll just say nope mid-corner and plow to the outside on exit (the 205 catches me offguard quite often), and has a nicer behavior on handbrake w/ less kickback -> but I'll need to use it more! And then... I'll hit everything offtrack on RHD cars when I try to use all the road from cockpit view. (still did on the last two stages, but that was because of the soft>med>soft>x strat that forced to do the last two stages with tyres on red, and tbf, I was already tired at that point).

*The 309 is a weird thing ingame. Despite having a bit less acceleration, I find it hard to believe that it lacks as much as 30hp (20%!) vs the 205 on physics. Being a N3 it should have also had a production suspension rather than a completely works spec, but oth, seems to drive and grip as good as the 205, while being less snappy due to the longer wheelbase (probably the best drive on this class!).
So, I suspect they did a number on it, and made it more of a Gr.A7 309 instead of the depicted Colin N3 car to remain competitive in class, but took out a bit of oopmh on the engine so it wouldn't surpass the 205 due to somewhat improved handling. If you saw my previous post, the 205 was already turned into a Gr.A7 despite the licensed liveries present ingame (and DR1/2) depicting Colin's A6 and Burns' N3 owned cars, so as to remain competitive with the licensed A7 Golf.

Last edited:
the 205 was already turned into a Gr.A7 despite the licensed liveries present ingame (and DR1/2) depicting Colin's A6

A6 - 205...
That's what I run in RBR this year :p
h1FpHlQ.png

Darn, that ending. That was still a 6:45.4, to an 1:22:00.4 if it wasn't for the draconian time limit rules.

Should've skipped the 5 min I used to eat some food before I started (or even skipped the livestream, as it took 2-3min to set up) :p
Oh well. Was still fun. I really like these cars.

Oh, and does Chile in EA WRC remind anyone else a bit of Scotland in DR2.0 ? :p

Should've skipped the 5 min I used to eat some food before I started (or even skipped the livestream, as it took 2-3min to set up) :p
Oh well. Was still fun. I really like these cars.

Oh, and does Chile in EA WRC remind anyone else a bit of Scotland in DR2.0 ? :p
I've edited this into the last post, but makes more sense here:
My last stage didn't go much better. Exact same tyre strat as yours, so the Golf was a truck without front grip by the end... still, a lot of fun to throw around when it behaves nicer!

For the DR2 Scotland comparison, I'm happy that it misses the mangled pace notes, despite also missing some more detailed and needed hazard ones, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they even recycled some assets in the logging zones. Drives similarly!

PS: On the pic above, that looks like a later 106 Rallye S2 (or GTI) A6!

Last edited:
pity to Ole for not being able to finish. Did my last three stages while Roy was streaming yesterday night. Thx Roy for setting it up, was a fun combo. Lovely fight for position at bottom of the grid, another close stage was #5:
Screenshot 2024-05-21 211046.png

I totally loved the atmosphere on the last stage, even though I narrowly missed catching @Karln3r riding into the sunset:
chile01.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 480 69.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 291 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 317 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 144 21.0%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 187 27.2%
Back